Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if dual rims on my 130 will solve (if possible) my load carry need. Anyone. Attempted this ever?

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I am wondering if dual rims on my 130 will solve (if possible) my load carry need. Anyone. Attempted this ever?
I don't think dual wheels will help you carry more. I think you could get a single tire rated for way more than a Defender will likely haul. Unless you are wanting to drive this load across a field of daisies, then maybe the duals will help you tread lightly'er.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is about stability indeed, and a few additional values
* I can use less expensive tires
* I can inflate them less
* I will have a better loose sand-driving ability

The 130 has an alu-cab fitted; I recently noted cracks in my Coopers AT3 165 tires that has a load carry capacity of 1,550 kgs. I took it to a weigh bridge and have 2,200 kgs on the rear axle, that could go to 2,500 kgs. So while I an technically "within spec", I still need to inflate to 4 bar for good stability, and question the ability of my tires to do the work I need them to do

My options are Coopers ST Max 285, that will give me a 1,770 kg carry capacity, but these are expensive. Or dual rims with less expensive tires

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I've never seen dually rims in 5 on 6.5"..... or even a red neck setup. Just buy the correct tires for your needs or get a real 1 ton truck.... Just my 2c

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I've never seen dually rims in 5 on 6.5"..... or even a red neck setup. Just buy the correct tires for your needs or get a real 1 ton truck.... Just my 2c

^ this. Would be a shame to put a '14 Puma in the "defenders that suck" section.......

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
It is about stability indeed, and a few additional values
* I can use less expensive tires
* I can inflate them less
* I will have a better loose sand-driving ability.

A. Even if you go with a super stupid cheap Chinese tire you still won't save money because you will have four rims and four crappy tires where two quality tires should be. Having owned a dually F350 the rear tires wear poorly.

B. A cheap under inflated tire is not safe even with dual tires.

C. Dual tires are not good in lose sand, mud or anywhere else off road due mainly to the added weight. Back in the eighties the US military began ditching the dual tires in favor of super singles and the 5 ton trucks preformed much better off road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts