Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice in the last three days my truck (’91 ROW 200TDI D90) has dropped out of fifth gear.

On the highway cruising along at roughly 65mph, and all of the sudden I stop accelerating. Not passing, not going up hill, not “petal to the metal.” No grinding, no noise, just all of the sudden no more forward movement. The stick seems to still be in the “fifth gear” position but the engine isn’t engaged with the transmission and no forward progress.

I press the clutch in, shift in to fourth (or third depending on speed) and accelerate as normal and shift up to fifth with no problems. Today I drove for about 30 minutes at 65 mph (in fifth) after it happened and everything was fine.

I’m sure I’m a little low on transfer case oil (changing the intermediate shaft “O” ring is this weekend’s project). Last weekend I changed the seal and oil on the rear diff.

I have a “Slick Shift” installed (for about six months) but haven’t had any issues before a few days ago.

Thoughts on where to start looking?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Either your fifth gear is very worn or the bias springs on the shift tower need to be adjusted. When was the last time you changed the transmission oil?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check the spring. I've only been driving the truck for about 3,000 miles and haven't ever changed the transmission oil - I'll add that to my "to do."

I guess the only way to check the gear is to drop the gearbox? That's a bigger job than I think I'm ready for...

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Possibly time for an R380 Stumpy and perhaps that DIY engine conversion you asked about a while back.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I'll check the spring. I've only been driving the truck for about 3,000 miles and haven't ever changed the transmission oil - I'll add that to my "to do."

I guess the only way to check the gear is to drop the gearbox? That's a bigger job than I think I'm ready for...

There isn't real no way to check the gear besides fully pulling apart the box. Hopefully you have some oil in your gearbox.

Oil change first.

Then adjust bias springs

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I'll assume you have the LT77, similar to me. I do not regularly drop out of 5th, but I do out of reverse but that is because sometimes it doesn't fully seat. LT77's are known for popping out of gear and are not my favorite transmission. Fortunately, a member here in Boulder had just gotten the wrong R380 (Stumpy) for his NAS (longer requires V8) and I picked it up (even had HD rear bearing) and was able to save some money ordering it from Ashcroft. I too have a 1991 200TDI/LT77. LOVE the TDI and rebuilding 2 in my garage at the moment just for fun (1 for my truck, then I will rebuild my trucks too). It could be the springs particularly due to the fact that you just put in a slickshift (but change oil first as stated above). Checking the gear for wear isn't very user friendly and if I went to the effort, I would just put in a stumpy R380. Which, BTW, can also be used on the new Cummins R2.8 if you go that route down the line. Robert's conversion, seeing how you are in Denver, is not possible as it is too old for your vehicle and won't be able to get the DR2365 from the State so I would toss that out the window (good swap from what I have heard, though) even though you were not even asking about engine swaps, lol. Depending on how long you can live with the popping out of 5th, you can have my LT77 when I pull it out and put in my new set up. Feel free to contact me offline too if you want any notes on making the 200TDI better for altitude, engine swaps legal for CO, or just grab a bourbon/beer and I will let you know what I have done and you can try it out if you would like. I'm currently in Niwot, basically N. Boulder. Also have an LS/90.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts