Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 95 300tdi with 240,000 miles on it. In the past couple of weeks I have noticed some vibration in the drive train (I think). If I just easy up to speed its not very noticeable but if I accelerate normally I am getting some medium vibration especially at higher RPM's. I want to say it feels like maybe the clutch is not engaged but not sure. I have crawled underneath and looked for anything loose but did not notice anything out of sorts. Looking to see if anyone has had something similar and where to start. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Could be anything from tires, to bushings, to a loose handbrake drum, propshafts, to the steering box.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
I would suspect u joints first. If you haven't done them in the past 50,000 miles it is time. If that doesn't cure it then start looking for "zebras" instead of horses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's not death wobble type vibration nor does feel like its originating from the front end. It goes down the road fine but when I get on the throttle the vibration starts. I'll just have dig into it.

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
389 Posts
The easiest start is to lube up the propshafts and take up any of the play. See what you can do to inspect the basics before spending any big money. This will be misdiagnosed at many shops and be a $bleed.
Another rattle source is the shift tower turret and springs. Easy to adjust and inspect- YouTube full of good videos on this. Good luck .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The easiest start is to lube up the propshafts and take up any of the play. See what you can do to inspect the basics before spending any big money. This will be misdiagnosed at many shops and be a $bleed.
Another rattle source is the shift tower turret and springs. Easy to adjust and inspect- YouTube full of good videos on this. Good luck .
Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a full grease job this weekend. I do have a great rover mechanic here but I always try to my onw repairs if I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts