Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
11,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The factory 4 cylinder Defender line from the clutch master to the slave typically has 5 connections: Adapter from the master cylinder (1), the adapter to the metal line (2), metal line to rubber line (3), rubber line to short metal line (4), metal line to the slave cylinder (5).
Often think if I were trying to design the most ridiculous setup, it would be exactly what Land Rover came up with.

Since the Dorman clutch master cylinder uses a flex line, all the original lines and connections are redundant.
All that is needed is a fitting to go between the new flex line and the slave cylinder.
Found a double flare fitting in an assortment of parts in my shop that screwed directly into the slave cylinder and had the correct flare fitting for the new line.

The result is shown.
Please note the pictures are from a 110 undergoing extensive work including an engine conversion, so they are not pictures of a finished product by any means, so things will get tidied up in the future.
The pictures are only meant to show the new cylinders, line, and the 2 connections.
Click to enlarge.

· Premium Member
9,018 Posts
Just a couple of things to be aware of on this approach:

1) there are different threads on the SC....so this is not a "one adapter fits all" scenario.
2) Robert was able to use a 7/16-20 male-male fitting that he had on hand...but most of the commercially available fittings these days I've seen (from Napa, Summit, etc, etc) all seem to be way 'shorter' than the older fitting he had on hand - which means it does not seat all the way down in the SC, so you'd either need to use a copper washer (not a big fan) or try to find a longer version that'll seat properly (so far have been unsuccessful on this end), otherwise it'll weep/leak.
3) if bypassing the bulkhead union bracket, keep in mind you'll want to be cautious about the line 'rubbing' up against the bulkhead in any areas as it goes down to the SC, the factory bulkhead union/bracket helps to isolate things (since the motor/trans will tend to vibrate, so the bulkhead bracket sort of helps to keep the geometry in check)....so just make sure things are isolated as to not cause any rubbing that would compromise the line.

As long as you keep the above in mind then yes you can go straight to SC.....

· Registered
397 Posts
Pretty cool my friend, we are becoming bush mechanics in the land of parts.
I would like to see what the Cubans would do with one of these.

I might convert mine when I swap in the new motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts