Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am restoring my 84 Defender 110 and I would like to have doors w/ push up handles and roll down windows.

I have seen them in couple of youtube videos. Are these after market? Custom made? Where can I find them?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
They were used for only a few years (to 1985). You can buy some of what is needed new, but some parts are impossible to get. One of the big parts that can't be bought are the latches. Unfortunately these also tend to wear out, so getting decent used ones is not easy either. If you can find a good complete set, that is your only real hope. Just hope that one of the NLA parts does not break.

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
If anyone has a good front door right latch they are willing to sell, let me know...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info...It is really useful
They were used for only a few years (to 1985). You can buy some of what is needed new, but some parts are impossible to get. One of the big parts that can't be bought are the latches. Unfortunately these also tend to wear out, so getting decent used ones is not easy either. If you can find a good complete set, that is your only real hope. Just hope that one of the NLA parts does not break.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I am trying to image what these look like.

Are these the handles that the NAS softtops had but with roll down windows?

I called them pull up handles but semantics. Unless this is something difference.

Any pictures?

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
I am trying to image what these look like.

Are these the handles that the NAS softtops had but with roll down windows?

I called them pull up handles but semantics. Unless this is something difference.

Any pictures?
On the outside, they have lift up handles, the same as the split doors and Series trucks. On the inside, they have a remote handle and locks and roll up windows. You can buy new front doors, window regulators, inside handles and door cards. The latches, windows tracks, and such are NLA. Used from 1983 to 1985 model years.

There are also split door versions that have remote inside handles and locks.... Super rare.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Having just been through this, the window tracks are the same as the pushbutton doors.

The latches and strikers can be replaced with modified ani-burst type latches like those fitted to the split doors.

Really the only major difference is the latches.

They are way simpler than the pushbutton doors. I decided to install pushbuttons on mine, because I had some good ones. Not worth the effort IMO but it is done so no turning back now...

On the outside, they have lift up handles, the same as the split doors and Series trucks. On the inside, they have a remote handle and locks and roll up windows. You can buy new front doors, window regulators, inside handles and door cards. The latches, windows tracks, and such are NLA. Used from 1983 to 1985 model years.

There are also split door versions that have remote inside handles and locks.... Super rare.

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
The latches and strikers can be replaced with modified ani-burst type latches like those fitted to the split doors.
Sorry? How? The split window door latch inside handle occupies the same location as the glass. there are actually anti-burst and non anti-burst versions of the latches. My truck has anti-burst. The problem is the cam for the inside handle latch wears out over time and the latches are hard to find.

They are substantially cooler and more "Land Rover" than the push button doors... :whistling:

Second row doors are even worse as the doors and cards are NLA.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
The anti burst is the same on the outside, so you can modify a regular split door antiburst using the bits from the old roll-up antiburst.

Yes, they are way cooler.

Sorry? How? The split window door latch inside handle occupies the same location as the glass. there are actually anti-burst and non anti-burst versions of the latches. My truck has anti-burst. The problem is the cam for the inside handle latch wears out over time and the latches are hard to find.

They are substantially cooler and more "Land Rover" than the push button doors... :whistling:

Second row doors are even worse as the doors and cards are NLA.

·
Super Moderator
12,556 Posts
The anti burst is the same on the outside, so you can modify a regular split door antiburst using the bits from the old roll-up antiburst.
I remain skeptical on how you can take a split door latch and make it work. They are not the same other than the outside handle. I'm quite familiar with both styles. The whole inside latch and lock mechanism is complex and very compact to clear the window glass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having just been through this, the window tracks are the same as the pushbutton doors.

Really the only major difference is the latches.

They are way simpler than the pushbutton doors. I decided to install pushbuttons on mine, because I had some good ones. Not worth the effort IMO but it is done so no turning back now...
Ren I have these doors on my 84 and need window tracks. Do you have the parts numbers for the window tracks? Or what year you used to search that are interchangeable? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am still looking for a set of push up handles. If anybody has a set please PM me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts