Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying back a 1960 Series II '88 that I sold 20 years ago because I was too young, naïve, and broke to deal with it. It's now been long enough to were I've forgotten why I don't like anyone named Lucas and I'm ready for another go. This time I plan to have a professional restore it as it's in bad, bad shape and I'm trolling the forums for ideas and advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Replace frame. Install 2.5 na diesel and lt77. Don't paint it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I too bought my '65 IIa back after having sold it off. I had kids, no money, needed a new transmission, blah, blah, blah....

Def keep the body as is, looks great!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I think patina has its place, especially if its the right color like sun faded marine blue. But personally I like the look of fully restored Series with a vintage color but new paint thru out. There are many who disagree and we all have our own opinion.
I think depending how costly and how involved your restoration is that there is more value in going all the way. If you are completely disassembling the car for full restoration, are you going to kick your self later if you put it back together with old paint after spending big wallets on the rest.
Kind of like a women. If your happy just looking at her legs go for it. But for full gratification I like my girl all the way. haha.

This is not a shameless plug for work , just tempting you with some hot girls.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
I think patina has its place, especially if its the right color like sun faded marine blue. But personally I like the look of fully restored Series with a vintage color but new paint thru out. There are many who disagree and we all have our own opinion.
I think depending how costly and how involved your restoration is that there is more value in going all the way. If you are completely disassembling the car for full restoration, are you going to kick your self later if you put it back together with old paint after spending big wallets on the rest.
Kind of like a women. If your happy just looking at her legs go for it. But for full gratification I like my girl all the way. haha.

This is not a shameless plug for work , just tempting you with some hot girls.
Value certainly goes way up when the detail is there on the resto, my series was restored without the body being touched, and I was able to get it cheap (sub $10k) years after restoration.

With that being said, almost everyone I have met who fully restored a series truck and made it very clean and mint inside and out, ended up selling the truck because they didn't want to hurt it. I'm not sure about you, but I didn't buy mine so it could be a museum piece, I want to be able to use it, and drive it whenever (and wherever) and not worry about the paint and stuff!

Mark, Those series trucks look so sweet as well!!

·
Premium Member
15,167 Posts
Another option is to leave the paint on the aluminum body panels, but to galvanize the bulkhead (and breakfast if you want and other steel parts) and replace/galvanize the frame. After a few months the galvanizing will start to dull and it will fit in with the patina paint.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm with Mark.

If that truck had original paint, then keep it.

However, that truck has been sprayed over at least once and they painted all of the best parts (galvy). If you are facing a tear down because of either a rotten bulkhead or a chassis swap, there is no way I would not go the distance and strip and re-paint that truck. Pull the cappings, windscreen and all the other stuff that's supposed to be galvanized and get it re-dipped.

Anyway, that's my opinion.........at the end of the day it's yours, so do what makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
yep - repaint, and take the paint off the galvey bits!
Patina will come with age - if you own it long enough, and drive it...it will establish a patina all by itself! I did mine, but it was in worse shape than yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really appreciate the input and at this point my thought is to prioritize things along the lines of 1) structure, 2) mech 3) aesthetics. Having said that, there are a number of really bad re-spray areas and parts from other different rovers which had different original paints. Some pastel green, some limestone, etc in particular in the split hatchback area which you can see in the pictures attached. Everything will start with a new frame and then I'll keep my fingers crossed and make decisions based on building up a rust free, reliable car which basically means I want a car that looks like a series rover but doesn't have the characteristics of a series rover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
One of the things I did with mine was to paint the interior. I always like a well kept, clean interior. So I left the fading green on the outside, but matched that color for interior stuff.

The restored trucks are amazing, but the $$$$$ amount puts it out of reach for many people. And once restored, many don't like to take them out much.

https://flic.kr/p/6Nd21A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts