Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I started to replace my master cylinder this weekend but had to back out. Two things came up that I'd like a little help with.

1. the flex pipe wanted to turn with the nut at the master cylinder and I'd like to do my best at not damaging and needing to replace the pipe. Any recommendations on getting the flex pipe nut to break free from the adapter nut?

2. the bleed screw at the slave cylinder is super hard to get at. Do you remove the exhaust down pipe for this?

19j engine if that helps.

Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,532 Posts
1. Penetrating oil. Heat. Patience.

2. You should be able to get it with the exhaust in place. You just need the right combo of tools.

If the slave has not been recently replaced, you should consider doing it and the flex line. They tend to fail in groups....

Bleeding can sometimes be a PITA. If you have trouble try parking downhill as it gets the bleed nipple high.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Penetrating oil. Heat. Patience.

2. You should be able to get it with the exhaust in place. You just need the right combo of tools.

If the slave has not been recently replaced, you should consider doing it and the flex line. They tend to fail in groups....

Bleeding can sometimes be a PITA. If you have trouble try parking downhill as it gets the bleed nipple high.
Thank you Red90! I bought a new flex line also. I'll give it another look when I don't mind parking it for a week or so if needed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had to hit mine with PB blaster every day for about 5 days before it finally broke loose. Some oils penetrate slower than others I guess!

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
I stopped even caring about the stupid hard lines cuz they always seize. I've used the dorman conversion on three trucks in this last year now. I just twist that hard line off and throw it in the garbage, toss the flex line in the garbage and use the stainless steel line from the kit.

time is worth more than the money saved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped even caring about the stupid hard lines cuz they always seize. I've used the dorman conversion on three trucks in this last year now. I just twist that hard line off and throw it in the garbage, toss the flex line in the garbage and use the stainless steel line from the kit.

time is worth more than the money saved.
Darn, wish I would have known about this Dorman kit earlier. Maybe I'll return the master cylinder I bought. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
the dorman will be slightly increased pedal pressure over stock but I think its worth it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts