Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RHD 1991 200tdi 90. I'm interested in replacing the gauge cluster with a DIY Tablet/Raspberry Pi/Arduino solution. The feasibility is not the problem: there are plenty of posts on the internet doing this. My main concern is legality. Does anyone have any insight on what it would take to make a digital instrument panel street-legal? Does the legality vary state-to-state?

On the more practical side, what are the mechanisms/principles of operation for each of the following:
1. speedo
2. fuel level
3. coolent temp
4. battery voltage

I'm specifically trying to find out how they work so that I can figure out how I would go about interfacing them with either an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi.

If I wanted to add the following to a digital dash, are there existing mechanisms/sensors in place that I could access to read:
1. rpm
2. oil temp
3. turbo pressure

While I'm at it, does anyone have suggestions for gauges or sensors they wish they had, or things they feel they don't need?

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
ive never heard to seen any laws that say you have to a have a specific gauge type. id take alook at the VDO gauge guide thread it lists all the senders, you can then look them up and see how they transmit.

·
Registered
681 Posts
For a lot of the gauges, the madman system seems to work well. I’ve wanted one but they always seem to be on back order. If you find a way to provide the same results, I’d be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of those sensors you list are essentially just variable resistors, calibrated to a control voltage. The gauges to track rotating things operate on a PWM signal (in any application I believe, not just your TDi).

A quick google:

If your TDi has the stock gauges, the three you ask about having senders do not exist, unless you count the alternator for the tachometer.

A RPi might be overkill unless you are going for full-color, animated display. In that case I would look at a RPi compute module, intended for industrial applications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts