Ok, I was looking for a 2 din cubby box to mount my carling switches and reposition the stereo. For some reason, the idea of populating the dashboard with either the MUD console or the raptor console just didn't appeal to me. #LizTheRover is a 1985 ROW 110 I thought adding some upgrades but keeping everything low key might be nice. My concept is to remove the stereo from the dash as well, and bury in a homemade cubby box. My thinker took a number of forms and the results are forthcoming. But while I wait for the paint to dry and do the final assembly. Here's some pics along the way.
I agree that the early dashes look better with the minimal amount of items. Having said that I am going to make a small box in the center to hold some Carling switches. My center Tuffy console was modified to fit a double DIN stereo otherwise I would have done what you did and put the Carlings there.
I've made some progress, but have't taken enough pictures. So it turns out that when you say you are going to move all of electronics into a box in the middle of your truck, things get complicated quickly. Since I didn't install the radio, finding where the PO had hidden the wires, and re-routing took more time that I anticipated. I also wanted/needed to weed some of the unused wires in the dash (which meant cracking the dashboard, which was a first for me and took some head scratching and some youtube videos and lots of searches here.). The end result is in sight, but not yet. I hope to have music playing, switches installed and box secured today. One of the obvious things I learned is that I can't paint for crap, especially when my garage is 30 degrees. I'm either going to make a 2.0 version, or pull it out and do a nicer paint job in the summer or live with it which is far more likely. Here's some photos of the before dash, and couple to remind me where everything goes (not). Stay tuned.
ok, made some progress today. man, this wiring stuff takes time! I blew thru a day without thinking about it, but my hand hurts from crimping wires. Here's what's done
1. second blue sea fuse block installed in cubby
2. usb/12v sockets hooked up
3. lid latch switch and cubby light installed, turns on when box opened
4. subwoofer, 6x9 boxes and speakers installed (good time to redo the stereo)
5. new head unit installed JVC KD-X33MBS
6. cb head unit installed Cobra C 75 WX ST
7. Stereo works, speakers work (yippee)
8. installed the blue sea OLED volt meter. wow, it's cool
9. rewired the battery box, added some wood to mount some relays and fuses (sub woof)
10. installed 4 LED 11mm spots I got on ebay that will shine out the four corners onto the floor when dome light is actived. That's the plan, they are wired and ready for me to switch the dome light switch location.
Switch day tomorrow and hopefully put the dash back together, and go for a drive.
I'm gonna call it done, the box is in, all the switches have quick connects, so removing the box is easier, I blew out the bottom of the box to make more room for wiring, as I like to have some length to make plugging in a bit easier. I might make another in the future, with some things I learned from this exercise, I thought I'd pass on some advice
don't underestimate the time it takes to move wiring from the dash to the cubby
use weatherpack or other type quick disconnects from the beginning on all wires, including radio
decide early the switches and functions
make a proper wiring loom and count the wires and run them all at once ahead of time to save time
Make the box a bit taller
I think a switch cover or recessing the switches might be a good idea. My wife already almost turned on the ARB lockers by moving her purse