Defender Source Forum banner

Discount Tire wouldn't mount BFG AT KO2?

8K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Antichrist 
#1 ·
Took the truck to get some new tires on, 33" 12.5 R15. Discount tire won't mount them as the Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds the load rating for that tire???

Anybody else run into this? They had no problem mounting them about 5 years ago.

Any help appreciated!!

#4 ·
Took the truck to get some new tires on, 33" 12.5 R15. Discount tire won't mount them as the Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds the load rating for that tire???
Did you point out to them that the D90 doesn't exceed the GVWR of that tire, which is 2,205 lbs?

#6 ·
Load rating is designated with a two digit number.
The letter rating is for tire speed rating. H is good up to about 130 MPH. V, I think goes up to 150.
I put H on the Rovers. Never know when I will be going down a perfectly straight and very steep mountain road with a wide open throttle. LMAO

Well I have taken the Range Rover up to 120 on the toll.

I've only hit 105 in the Disco. That was on the highway north of Belize City. I was trying to keep up with Sam Simpson in his D90. We were an hour behind the rest of the group and needed to get to the border crossing before it closed.

#10 ·
I pulled into camp last June and promptly ran over a piece of metal that flattened my tire right quick. Changed to my spare, and drove 45 minutes to America's Tire. The tires were only 7 month old 235/85r16's.... and they would not install a new one for me because their insurance would not cover it.

The service guy was very good to me, understood what was going on, even offered to call his manager at home on Sunday morning to try to get special permission. But in the end, they gave me four new 265/75r16's instead -- cost me only $45 or something.

I don't like them as much as the thinner tires, and really don't think the 235's are a problem that they should be worried about. But I did get a set of new tires.

#14 ·
I haven't run a C tire on a Land Rover since about 1985 (on my Lightweight), but those 33x12R15 BFG AT KO2's meet the load rating requirement for a D90.
But yeah, could very well be because they are 15" rather than 16". Some places won't even install non-OE size 16" tires.

It's definitely not a load rating issue, unless their computer has the wrong data, which could very well be.
But all you have to do is point to the load rating on the tire and then point to the GVWR for the Rover.

#21 ·
I guess I have to quit poking fun at the young engineers that can't design a thing without a computer... Can I plead typo? 1x1=1 1x2=2 1x3=....
Engineers make mistakes too.

I'll never forget on one of my flights from Houston to Tokyo, one of the pilots was stretching his legs around the first class cabin.

An engineer engaged him in conversation. The engineer could not quite grasp why it took 13 hours and 40 minutes to get to Tokyo and only 12 and half to go back if the distance and speed remained constant in both directions.

#24 ·
Indeed, my sarcasm font wasn't working. While not an aviator, I have spent plenty of time on fixed and rotary wing platforms of all kinds (not to mention watching UAVs really struggle with winds)-but the most acute illustration for me of the jet-stream and winds is the time difference between AUH-IAD, and IAD-AUH. After 12 hours on a plane, that delta really starts to make a difference!

#40 ·
I called two other Discount Shops just out of my own curiosity, they will not sell me a tire for a NAS 90 with a load rating of 108q.
When phrased like that it makes more sense.
The All-Terrain T/A KO2 in the OE size is 123R, so if they are only going by the load index/speed rating then the 15" don't cut it (from a store liability perspective) at 108R (according to BFG they have an R speed rating).
If they were going by the max load rating then they'd be ok by over 2000lbs. You could exceed your D90 GVWR by a ton and still not reach the tires' max load capacity.

Go to back and tell them they are for a D1. Same GVWR but the OE size in the KO are 104 load index. :tounge

#36 ·
Are you a Sam's Club member ? They put this tire, BFG ATKO's 235/85/16 on mine. Also show them the Discount tire price if it's lower & they'll match it if they're higher.

Went to Costco one time to put some new tires on a BMW 524 diesel and they wouldn't because of the speed rating, but they said I could carry them out & do it elsewhere .... you know what I told them to do !

#38 ·
I've had issues with Costco mounting as well. Every time I have brought the tires in they refused to mount them unless they were on a vehicle, they also asked what they were going on. I assme this was ensure the truck didn't exceed the load rating. I ended up going somewhere else.

#51 ·
Very nice!! :grin

What is even odder is they have no computer record of the install of my tires from 5 years ago, even though I have the receipt in the rover.

------ Follow up post added September 2nd, 2015 10:43 AM ------

When phrased like that it makes more sense.
The All-Terrain T/A KO2 in the OE size is 123R, so if they are only going by the load index/speed rating then the 15" don't cut it (from a store liability perspective) at 108R (according to BFG they have an R speed rating).
If they were going by the max load rating then they'd be ok by over 2000lbs. You could exceed your D90 GVWR by a ton and still not reach the tires' max load capacity.

Go to back and tell them they are for a D1. Same GVWR but the OE size in the KO are 104 load index. :tounge
It was the third store who said they wouldn't sell me the 108 tire. The first two said it was the GVWR. :facepalm:

#44 ·
It's getting harder and harder to find a decent independent tire shop. The one near me I really liked closed a couple years ago and someone opened one with substituting Z's for S's in the name. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.