Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the truck to get some new tires on, 33" 12.5 R15. Discount tire won't mount them as the Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds the load rating for that tire???

Anybody else run into this? They had no problem mounting them about 5 years ago.

Any help appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
They are tightening up internally, I know a couple of guys around here that work for them. Liability has reared it's head. They are trying to get away from everything but passenger vehicles also...and if it's a commercial vehicle forget about it.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
Take the tires to your local indie shop with some cash and have them mount and balance. Make sure Discount backs out any mount/bal/BS charges

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Took the truck to get some new tires on, 33" 12.5 R15. Discount tire won't mount them as the Gross Vehicle Weight exceeds the load rating for that tire???
Did you point out to them that the D90 doesn't exceed the GVWR of that tire, which is 2,205 lbs?

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Dont the ratings with weight load go by a letter system?
Load rating is designated with a two digit number.
The letter rating is for tire speed rating. H is good up to about 130 MPH. V, I think goes up to 150.
I put H on the Rovers. Never know when I will be going down a perfectly straight and very steep mountain road with a wide open throttle. LMAO

Well I have taken the Range Rover up to 120 on the toll.

I've only hit 105 in the Disco. That was on the highway north of Belize City. I was trying to keep up with Sam Simpson in his D90. We were an hour behind the rest of the group and needed to get to the border crossing before it closed.

·
Super Moderator
14,333 Posts
On LT tires it is a letter designation. A through E for load rating. This set the maxim pressure and the load rating varies by size.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I pulled into camp last June and promptly ran over a piece of metal that flattened my tire right quick. Changed to my spare, and drove 45 minutes to America's Tire. The tires were only 7 month old 235/85r16's.... and they would not install a new one for me because their insurance would not cover it.

The service guy was very good to me, understood what was going on, even offered to call his manager at home on Sunday morning to try to get special permission. But in the end, they gave me four new 265/75r16's instead -- cost me only $45 or something.

I don't like them as much as the thinner tires, and really don't think the 235's are a problem that they should be worried about. But I did get a set of new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
I haven't run a C tire on a Land Rover since about 1985 (on my Lightweight), but those 33x12R15 BFG AT KO2's meet the load rating requirement for a D90.
But yeah, could very well be because they are 15" rather than 16". Some places won't even install non-OE size 16" tires.

It's definitely not a load rating issue, unless their computer has the wrong data, which could very well be.
But all you have to do is point to the load rating on the tire and then point to the GVWR for the Rover.

·
Premium Member
Tithonus Tdi on 37’s, 90 Tdi/auto, D-I Tdi 5-speed
5,379 Posts
The GVW on a NAS D-90 is 6001#. The tire in question is too light- 4 x 2200= 4800, or <1220>#
I am not sure the GVW of ROW 90s, but it was a tax issue in the States at the time, as the luxury tax did not apply to vehicles over 6000# GVW. The Discos and RR were the same...

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The GVW on a NAS D-90 is 6001#. The tire in question is too light- 4 x 2200= 4800, or <1220>#
I am not sure the GVW of ROW 90s, but it was a tax issue in the States at the time, as the luxury tax did not apply to vehicles over 6000# GVW. The Discos and RR were the same...
This is correct, that is why the wouldn't do it, the GVW.

Indie shop it is. I backed out of the deal and didn't buy the tires from Discount.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.