Defender Source Forum banner

Disco Gems into a Defender wiring harness

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Jymmiejamz 
Cabin/main loom side you will need the orange /grey plugs that engine side plugs into with as much pigtail as you can. The fuel pump relay & related wiring are part of the loom. Between the fuel pump relay and the wire out to fuel pump is the inertia switch which breaks power to the pump @ all the wrong moments. You’ll also need the obd2 port from inside under the fuse box.
Color on those plugs changed from 96/97 to the the 98/99’s. The color change on plugs corresponds to the switch to advanced evap system. There is a black plug with all heavy gauge wires again as long a pigtail as possible.
I delete the inertia switch on our personal trucks.
There is a diagram posted here on the site explaining the wire colors and what goes to what in order to make it run.
On the transmission loom I cut it up high behind the engine. I don’t use anything but the reverse lamp wiring and remove the interlock solenoid on the tcase. We use Lokar shifters so it comes up through the defender shift boot & looks like a manual shifter. If you intend to use the d1 shifter you may want to retain more. Be sure not to cut the o2 sensor plugs that are part of the engine loom but run over top of the transmission.
FWIW we’ve tried ecu’s where alarm hasn’t been programmed out and truck starts.
If you text me tomorrow I’ll shoot you some pics. Building my daughter a 110 5door with the drivetrain from the d1 she rolled. Have it up & running beautifully.

inertia switch is easy to hook up and looks factory when done right. I wouldnt bypass that. Ive seen some bad things happen to efi swapped vehicles when the fuel pump wiring doesnt shut off correctly
Like the fuel pump relay, the Inertia switch is already part of the loom and install is as simple as mounting it firmly on the firewall. On trucks we’ve built for others, never remove it. On trucks we’ve wheeled and take Moab, Sierra’s etc have had the damn things pop @ most in opportune times, ie extreme descent angle, close to vertical, where bumper tags rock and you can’t even get in & out of truck to reset it for instance @ maybe 1mph but a solid blow none the less.
The truck we are building my daughter now is using the drivetrain from a d1 she rolled 3+ times @ 70mph. An extreme event, & what the switch is intended for, but Inertia switch did not pop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.