Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to lose my mind solving what seems like should be a minor issue. I have twice replaced the directional (turn) switch on the steering column but have encountered the same problem. I am having a problem with the reset function that should occur when you complete a turn. Typically, if one was going to make a right turn, you would push the stalk down, the turn signal light would flash, you'd turn the wheel, you'd complete the turn, and has THEN, as the steering wheel was returning to neutral the turn signal would reset. This is precisely what happens when I turn right. When I turn left, I lift the stalk and the light begins to flash, but the moment I move the wheel to the left, it resets. I am certain that those who have replaced this switch will immediately suggest that the little blue ring that interfaces with the tabs on the back side of the steering wheel is not aligned correctly. As far as I can tell this is not the case. The little triangle on the ring is facing to the left, as I am lead to believe it ought to be. I've also tried it in the other position just to make sure that I am not missing something, but that creates an entirely different problem. I was convinced that maybe I had gotten a bad switch so I bought another from Rovers North, but I still have the same problem. I am considering just making nothing but right turns to avoid this issue, but I'd rather fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Directional Switch.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,532 Posts
Are you buying an OEM, branded switch or an aftermarket, made in a fish market switch? There is a huge difference.

Sometimes the boot puts pressure on the stalk. See if having it not inserted in the trim fixes the problem.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
You've got the cam out of position that bumps the switch and resets it.
You'll likely have to pull the steering wheel to examine the mechanism and figure out how it works and then position accordingly in order to get the release to work properly.
You might be able to figure it out by just removing the switch.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I am having the same issue on two trucks using brand new Lucas switches. One of the trucks was working perfectly when installed but The prince of Darkness took over shortly after and I feel your pain. I too have tried fussing with the blue collar but to no avail. I'm at the point where I'm temped to just pull the cam off the steering wheel.
Please post if you come up with a resolution to this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the same issue since replacing my original with a proline version from Rovers North. Red90 is correct in that the rubber boot puts pressure on the arm and trips the reset early. On my truck (94 NAS 90), it happens when I lift the arm up and then make a right hand turn. The opposite works just fine. I'm considering replacing with OEM to solve the problem. Just pull the boot loose from the steering column and go for a spin to validate.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same issue since replacing my original with a proline version from Rovers North. Red90 is correct in that the rubber boot puts pressure on the arm and trips the reset early. On my truck (94 NAS 90), it happens when I lift the arm up and then make a right hand turn. The opposite works just fine. I'm considering replacing with OEM to solve the problem. Just pull the boot loose from the steering column and go for a spin to validate.
Are we calling the plastic housing around the steering column the "boot"? The blue collar is 100% in the right position, and when I pull the switch and play with it on the bench, it works completely fine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Are we calling the plastic housing around the steering column the "boot"? The blue collar is 100% in the right position, and when I pull the switch and play with it on the bench, it works completely fine.
No. The boot is the rubber piece that is molded to the turn signal stock and fits into the opening in the plastic steering column cover. You can see it in the image in your original post. Just pull it out from the plastic housing and go for a drive and see if your signals cancel properly.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. Replaced the entire switch assembly twice before I realized the stupid plastic boot was pushing it back down too early on a right turn. Left always worked fine. 🤦

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing for me--while the rubber boot looks symmetrical, turning the boot around (e.g. rotating 180 degrees) solved the issue for me. Maybe it's "defender symmetrical." (e.g. supposed to be but isn't).

·
Registered
8 Posts
the blue collar has a directional arrow (or tab) if I recall correctly....it goes towards the stalk. as stated, it could be out 180degrees

see video about 8:10 point

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure enough: I unseated the boot on the stalk from the plastic housing around the steering column, and suddenly the issue disappeared. I haven't taken a closer look to say why this was messing with the turn signal cancelling mechanism, but I can happily turn left again. Thank you to everyone for your help!

·
Super Moderator
13,532 Posts
Make sure it is the right orientation. Long side up and down. Make sure it is fully inserted into the housing. I don't think they make the boots as flexible as the originals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts