Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is a question for the Defender owners:

What is more desired, Land Rover Diesel or Gas engines? and why?

I am a V8 man myself, as this is a smooth running, nice sounding engine. You can actually have a conversation in the car.

In my opinion Diesels are slow, noisy, they stink and your hands get dirty :rofl2 but please proove me wrong :)

don't shoot me for asking this, I was just wondering why soo many people are asking for diesels.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Speaking only from personal experience...

I've had a 2.25 petrol 109, a 3.9V8 Disco 1, a 4.0 (now 4.6) D90, and a 3.9 Isuzu diesel 110.

I'll pick the diesel 110 any time for any trip.

Why? Well, for starters it's the most comfortable ride, but that's not engine related.

Yes, it's a bit noisier and horribly slow up the (interstate highway) Big Hills in the Rockies...but the off idle torque on road and off as well as the range and fuel consumption rates are soooo much better than the petrol trucks.

Plus, it's just begging for a turbo ;)

After off-roading with Jim Hall and the VW diesel powered Elephant Chaser, I knew diesel was the answer...yes, it's all Jim's fault ;)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Depends who you ask.
For me, I like turbodiesel for better fuel economy and torque. Plus they're simpler to deal with. Noise can be easily dealt with using Dynamat and additional matting. TD5 is already quiet enough to have a conversation in the car, even without Dynamat. Puma is dead-quiet.

But the best engine I ever experienced altogether was an Audi V6 turbodiesel. That thing felt like you were driving an electric car - you couldn't hear it at all and the moment you step on gas it just flies.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
The era of the small mechanical diesel is gone forever according to a fuel refining scientist I met who works for ExxonMobil.
Today's diesel fuel is refined for common rail injection systems and will not adequately lubricate mechanical injection components.
End result is all the moving parts are wearing out at an accelerated rate.

The answer is gasoline unless you have common rail, then it can be diesel.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
I like the fuel economy and range. The turbo works well at higher elevations and the engine (200tdi) does not require much in the way of maintenance.

I have a V8 in my 109 Carawagon and it is very quiet and smooth, but I'd like it better with a diesel.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Let me start by saying, this is IMHO. I've had a defender with a V8 and a TDI. Personally, I like a tdi in a rover. Set up correctly, I can do 70-75 comfortably, stop in a reasonable distance and have mpg in the mid 20's.

Why?? I'm a tool guy. I work with my hands everyday. I believe the right tool for the right job. I don't hit a nail with a saw and I don't try and cut wood with a hammer. I have seen guys do it all te time and it always makes me laugh.

A Land Rover is a truck. Work truck, travel truck, expedition truck, It's just a truck Period! I want milage, torque, and simple reliability. Top Speed is not in the equations. As long as I can keep up with traffic great.

Don't get me wrong. I love a V8 and gas engines. I just tend to prefer them in my sport cars!

Nuff said:) hahaha

·
Registered
706 Posts
I’ve had both in several trucks. I have also been able to compare a 3.9 and a 200TDI in the same truck (Series 88). Honestly, I liked both. However, the 200 is way easier to work on, gets great fuel economy and has plenty of power. It’s louder than the 3.9, but my trucks loud anyway.

I’m currently driving the 200TDI and love it more each day. The only thing I miss about the 3.9 is that rumble through a magna flow exhaust.......that sound is amazing. The only thing I don’t always love about the 200 is having to build boost. Occasionally, I feel like it takes a while to build power unlike the V8.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I really have not drank the diesel coolaid. In many parts of the world diesel is more available than gasoline, and if you have a farm, you probably have diesel on hand, but for me, gas is the only way to go. People crow about the better fuel economy of a diesel, but much of the economy is eaten away by the fact that our ultra low sulfur diesel is more expensive than premium gas. Bragging that your diesel can do 70 MPH does not seem to be high praise.

I had a diesel Mercedes SUV and absolutely hated it, Lots of torque sure, but huge throttle lag (enough for me think the engine was about stall). Slam the throttle down and 2-3 seconds of turbo spool up and transmission fishing for a gear later, it would start to accelerate. I commute 86 miles each way every day and I could not wait to dump that car, and this probably soured me on diesels forever.

Sure, the "Defender do the best you can" speed signs are part of the charm of the Defender. But I have a nicely built 3.9 that moves my truck well past 70 with a great deal of alacrity and I have never felt it was slow and still think it has charm.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I'm firmly in the Diesel camp - my D-90 can easily go over 250 miles on a tank of diesel - a V-8 gasoline powered one is lucky to get 150 miles on a tank. In our area diesel is less expensive than premium by almost 10 cents a gallon. My D5 gets over 30 mpg on the highway and is absolutely silent at 70 mph.

But what really makes the diesel so great is the torque characteristics at low rpm. Off-road I usually just stick the TDI in second gear low range and just sit back and steer. It just putts along and easily conquers almost any obstacle that comes along (and if it doesn't that's what first gear is for...)

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Anything not Land Rover Made or modified.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts