Defender Source Forum banner

421 - 432 of 432 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Was that response for me? Sorry, not sure what the issue is? What am I missing?
You’re asking what the consequences are for doing something you know is against the law, as if you’re considering doing it. And if you did decide to do it, now it’s posted on a public forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I import a defender from oversees and try to get it registered in California, is going through G&K the only options to go through in order to get it CARB approved or is there another legal way to do it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
okay, If I want to do an engine Swap can I do that later after the Lab testing or would it have to get tested again?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Legally you would have to get it certified through BAR a totally different program. Many don't

·
Registered
3 Posts
1. if I get an engine swap before getting CARB approved does it still have to go through BAR

2. I think I will possibly be looking to import a 110 from South Africa as I travel there a few times a year. I've heard that Uncle Doug is a good person to get in contact with regarding the import process is that correct?

I have wanted a defender for a long time and im new to the import and registration process, so thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
1. if I get an engine swap before getting CARB approved does it still have to go through BAR

2. I think I will possibly be looking to import a 110 from South Africa as I travel there a few times a year. I've heard that Uncle Doug is a good person to get in contact with regarding the import process is that correct?

I have wanted a defender for a long time and im new to the import and registration process, so thanks for the help

1. No you would not need to get a recertified. Yes it would make it way more expensive and g&k CARB lab possibly may not be able to certify it. You would have to include all original emissions equipment, OBD, and fuel system if it's a US engine.

There is no easy/cheap way to do it legally

2. No, he no longer imports.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
You’re asking what the consequences are for doing something you know is against the law, as if you’re considering doing it. And if you did decide to do it, now it’s posted on a public forum.
Oh, that just makes a prosecutor's day. A gift from heaven.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hey all! I’ve searched and can’t seem to find a clear answer. I’ve been living in Florida and had my 200tdi 110 registered here for a few years. I’m moving to San Francisco at the end of October and am not sure if registering and smog and all the other stuff will be an expensive hassle or if I’ll be just fine. Any advice is welcome. Thx!

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Yes, it will. This is covered extensively in this thread.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, it will. This is covered extensively in this thread.
So I've read each page and haven't seen mention of something like this where someone has moved from one state to the other with their currently owned defender. I could have missed it though. What I do see is that the 300tdi and previous engines are illegal period and cannot be registered. Is this correct?

421 - 432 of 432 Posts