Defender Source Forum banner

401 - 420 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep. Got the letter this week. It’s BS and I don’t care that BAR employees are “doing their job”. It’s done for money. No other reason regardless...I was planning on doing an LS swap anyway so this just makes it move along a little quicker. It’s just sad. I drive my defender like 100 miles a year (I know...needs more miles) so for them to say “your vehicle you registered 4 years ago” is non compliant is just BS. I’m a retired veteran of the armed forces and fought for the freedoms those BAR folks enjoy. It would be nice to bring over a Diesel engine which probably numbers in the “less than 100” in CA and be able to drive it once in a while. Shame on CA and their BS Emissions crap.

“rant off”

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
LOL, yea I'm sure BAR employees get a bonus check every time they send out one of those letters.

I remember California in the 1960's and 1970's, when there were lots of days in the summer where parents were told not to let their kids play outside because the air was unhealthy to breathe. What the hell? There were days when I'd look at a building down the block and not see it clearly because of the haze in the air in between. Citizens didn't want to put up with this BS pollution crap. So they forced their political leaders to do something about it, since no one has the "freedoms" to spew so much crap in the air that their fellow citizens end up with cancer or emphysema or their kids with asthma.

And guess what? It worked. I haven't lived there in over 30 years but my daughter does; when I visit her I'm amazed at how much more livable the place is, now that its air doesn't resemble that of downtown Beijing. Bravo to California for managing such a great turnaround.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a terrible problem that BAR Is creating For Owners that bought the cars in California with a California title.
I’m in the same situation
I’ve had my Defender90 200TDI
For four years now
And they decided to come after me
I talk to the air quality engineer that sending These letters out.
He couldn’t answer any of my questions there’s only one option and one option only And that is pay G&K To “certify it” So you get a letter after it gets certified and it becomes smog exempt which makes absolutely no sense.
I even talked to G&K
And they’re asking for $9,950.00
To certify it.
It doesn’t seem right.

It’s like buying a home and after four years of living in it and you find a leaky pipe you go after the old owner for not telling you And you demand money to fix it.

I was under the impression once it’s in the system it’s in the system how are they going to revoke my registration now and my right to sell it or drive it.
My only option is I have to pay the $10,000 which is astronomical and it looks like a monopoly because no one else could do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I went to go look at a truck that they certified. All it had was a shiny sticker that said G&K certified With a serial number
and $300 DPF Filter That they put on the exhaust system.
These diesel engines are all mechanical they don’t have any Sensors There’s only one hot wire that runs to the injection pump Actuator that tells it to fire.

And they charge $10,000 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I guess after 4 years it's too late to sue the seller for selling you a vehicle that's illegal in California. But yea you could sell it to someone in another State.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know I could sell it out of state but that’s another hassle that I don’t wanna deal with because I live in California and I purchased it in Los Angeles with a title that the DMV authorized.
California is doing everything else
But protect the consumer.

When I purchased this car if they would’ve told me that I need to pay an extra fee I would’ve done it.
But they didn’t they’re telling me this 4 years later.
It seems like I’m paying for their mistake now.
The funny thing is that the G&k truck that I saw that was certified
I talk to the owner the owner told me he paid $5000 for The certification.
So that’s another confusing part

He has the exact same engine that I have in my vehicle.
It’s just funny that they’re making me pay $10,000 to a private entity.
Seems weird

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually, that's a great point. If you have a California Compliant rover engine, along with all of the required emissions components, you could go to a Smog Referee and they would likely consider it legal.

Why no one has really talked about it is kind of amazing. I am guessing because the Rover V8 isn't exactly a marvel of reliable engineering.
@navydevildoc Thanks for the info! I live in CA and looking to buy a 1988 customized D110 with a rebuilt original V8 (Buick 215 likely) R hand drive or a 1984 customized D110 with a 12J which both happen to be in Georgia but worried about the passing CARB. I considered the Montana loophole on the 12J but again, with the CHEATERS program, Montana tags in CA will stand out. But do you know if the V8 engine typically passes SMOG/Emissions? And what emissions components are you referring to exactly? I do not want to purchase until I understand exactly what i'm getting into. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes that is my understanding. Everything goes back to the engine so it has to comply with the year of the motor not the vehicle. But I will also say this, by the time I got to the point where I was dealing with the private lab I almost didn't care what they did or didn't do or how they did it. I just wanted it CARB approved and didn't care how they did it. By the way it is my understanding that this is the only CARB approved lab in the state. So in other words you can do all the work yourself but ultimately you will have to go to the lab to have it tested. Going directly to a smog garage or referee won't work. The referee will refer you to CARB who will refer you to the lab. When I pick it up I will try and post the work order/receipt etc. and hopefully that will give us a better understanding.

Just another note, while I was at the lab there were all kinds of vehicles including muscle cars and high end European sports cars as well as some built 4x4s.
Lab is doing the work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
First ever Defender ( non-Nas) was approved last week by CARB/BAR. ‘83 110 with an LS3. 3.25 year process with state agencies. G&K was relentless. I can’t say enough about George and his team.

It would have been a lot easier to just go to the CA DMV grey market vehicle section and read up before I started the build 6 years ago ...I wasn’t aware it existed. If I did it again?...keep original motor or go ‘76 diesel with original motor. It’s all on DMV / CARB website.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
G&K is a racket. Glad you got it through...too bad they dictate the cost at a whim and they are the ONLY choice in the state AND a private org.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It wasn’t inexpensive but it was certainly cheaper than the cost of parking in any other Orange County indoor air conditioned garage for 3.25 years. G&K battled for me and fought through multiple rejections from CARB/BAR. They are dedicated team who battle for their customers and they don’t quit. If you have a beef with anyone, call your assembly person or state senator and work to change the myriad of crazy rules and regulations.

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
It wasn’t inexpensive but it was certainly cheaper than the cost of parking in any other Orange County indoor air conditioned garage for 3.25 years. G&K battled for me and fought through multiple rejections from CARB/BAR. They are dedicated team who battle for their customers and they don’t quit. If you have a beef with anyone, call your assembly person or state senator and work to change the myriad of crazy rules and regulations.
I think it would be really great to know what sort of out of pocket the process costed. most ranges we have all heard are about $10K, but I don't find that too bad considering how much it costs to have a rover and live in CA. But that is more second hand. Could you give us a range? I think if people knew that it was a $7500 proposition or a $25,000 proposition things may be very different. If you don't want to say that is up to you--but most of us have arms, legs and torsos invested so we get the cost of these machines...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a quote for $9,959.00 from them without them looking at my car.
I have the email here.
For 200TDI
The funny thing is that this engine is completely mechanical So there is no sensors there is no computer....
So I don’t know where the $10,000 goes to.

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Thanks--I have an elderly mom in S. Cal and at some point I'll have to help. I love CO but I will have to go part time to CA and I want a rover there. But two things work against me. One is that getting it registered is going to be tough--I can set aside and plan and that is why I ask. The other is it doesn't fit in her garage. That seems tougher...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question about the CHEATER program. Lets say I register a 94 Rover 300tdi in Nevada and I am a CA resident. I get pulled over in CA and what happens:?
Do they impound the car or only issue a ticket?
how much is the ticket?
Can you just pay the ticket and continue driving in CA with Nevada registration? How do the force you to register the car in CA?

401 - 420 of 432 Posts