Defender Source Forum banner

381 - 400 of 433 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
So, I have a NAS with an LS swap--could I swap back in the rover engine, take it to CA and register it (family there) and THEN swap in an LS without having to go through CARB?
To get it registered, yes. The LS swap is the problem. You don’t make any contact with carb. You deal with DMV and BAR referee with the LS swap inspection. And right now, it won’t be approved. You can thank VW for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Bummer. Love to keep one at my moms... Not willing to do the BS registration game either....not my bag.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Na still not 100% because you still need to smog it every two years.

Edit : what he said above

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Edit- I didn’t see that I had to click on “view replies” before it would show me all the replies in this thread. :unsure:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's my situation:

I have a 1987 110 5 door LHD 2.5 TDI/LT77 which was legally imported into New Jersey from Sicily in 2016 with 123,000KM. This was a one-owner unmolested truck with no rust & everything working including the clock!

I bought it in Los Angeles with current New Jersey plates and registration on Jan 2, 2018. Did the mobile VIN verification and used a non-DMV/AAA registration service which was recommended to me by a forum member. Everything went perfect got plates in less than a week.

Drove the truck in LA for over a year and a half without a problem and countless thumbs-up and honks from LAPD and LASD.

In August 2019 I decided to swap out the original engine and tranny for a 300TDI/R380. I still have all the original parts. The truck has not been on the road since August 2019 and when the registration expired in Jan 202 DMV even sent me a reminder. I took care of it and got my 2021 sticker a few days later. The guy doing my conversion told me last week that a lot of his customers had received the letter in the last few weeks and told me to be on the lookout for it. Sure enough, it came yesterday.

Wondering if anyone else has received this letter and if going to G&K is my only option? If so any ballpark ideas on what it might cost. I do want to keep the truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i would also reach out to Defender Traders in San Diego. They have an existing relationship with G&K and might be able to get you in sooner than otherwise. Maybe contract with them to get you CARB certified and swap the engine, or something along those lines. They can do all kinds of mods for you, and seem to have a good reputation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks, I know the folks down there. They do have a good reputation and it's well deserved. I was thinking about reaching out to them on Monday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just FYI, a club member up here has gotten a similar letter. They seem to be on some kind of a tax revenue kick lately. It’s a terrible abuse of power.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hundreds of these letters went out.
BAR wants to verify you have a California compliant engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far. The 300tdi is definitely not complaint, but it is newer with fewer emissions and better mileage than the stock 2.5.Does that count for anything at G&K cost-wise?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
It’s a terrible abuse of power.
They're just doing their job and enforcing the law as the Legislature directed them to do.

I lived in the LA Basin in the 1970's and it definitely had the worst air quality in the country by far. Nowadays, not so much. All these regs. actually worked in their case.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Thanks for the feedback so far. The 300tdi is definitely not complaint, but it is newer with fewer emissions and better mileage than the stock 2.5.Does that count for anything at G&K cost-wise?
No, it won't help you cost wise. You should call BAR and talk to them. The 300 definitely complicates things for you.

what do you mean here, who/what is G&K?
For CARB compliance.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Hopefully it isn't an issue for you, but I do know of an import 110 that had an engine swap after getting registered in Ca. through similar means you used. BAR told the owner to put the original engine back in and start the process. That was a few years ago, and I never followed up with the owner or BAR to see what happened. Before you get too many opinions on here or elsewhere, call BAR and go from there. They're the only ones that can give you real answers about your particular situation.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Hopefully it isn't an issue for you, but I do know of an import 110 that had an engine swap after getting registered in Ca. through similar means you used. BAR told the owner to put the original engine back in and start the process.
It sounds like BAR requires the repair shop to report engine swaps to them; otherwise, how could they know?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
It sounds like BAR requires the repair shop to report engine swaps to them; otherwise, how could they know?
Has nothing to do with repair shops or BAR for that matter. California DMV might be a bit archaic, but even their system will flag a newly registered non-US market VIN, then they'll look for the appropriate paperwork. If it isn't there, info is sent to the agency that was bypassed, a VLT stop is placed, and a letter sent to the owner. Registration services, private VIN verifiers and AAA are not allowed to do a first time verification on imports whether they're fresh off the boat or previously registered/titled in another state. DMV took that ability away from them a little over 2 years ago. Doesn't mean some don't initially fall through the cracks, obviously some that fall through get noticed.

381 - 400 of 433 Posts