Defender Source Forum banner

361 - 380 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
California is going down!!
Every day Californians residents are moving out to either to Nevada,Arizona, Texas or Utah.
Big business are moving as well..
Taxes are way to[sic] HIGH..
I guess that's why the property values there are so high. :rolleyes

and its a matter of time before you get caught, I know 3 different guy who got nabbed, tickets ranged from 3 to 6 hundred beans and they werent all driving defenders...
I know in this region, residents in SW Washington try to pull a similar thing. Car registration fees in Oregon are much lower, so a lot of them will get a Portland PO Box as their registration address. Washington cops are on the lookout for things like a car with an Oregon plate repeatedly leaving a residential area during the morning commute. :whistling:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Question,

Is the 25 year rule the standard for importation by date ?
I am currently in Africa, looking to bring a 1994 110 and a 1989 110 from Zambia, via Midlands, TX.

Lou

·
Registered
29 Posts
1994 dates

1994 are fine if early part before today. 25 years and older.
Are you able to determine exact date by the VIN ?

I am looking to bring this 94' 110 ( 3.5) shipping out of Durban in May, so it will likely not be here before mid-late June.
Along with it, an 89' 110 with a TDi , and a 1975 109 P/U with the orig gas motor ( 2.2 / 2.5 ?).

All are coming out of Durban, except the 109 which was acquired here in Zambia. I think Dar esSalam in Tanzania may be cheaper because of proximity.

I'm trying to line it up thru Schumacher, unless anyone knows of a better alternative. Coming out of Durban, SA to Midland TX.
I hear that Hueneme in SoCal is a royal pain overall; is that true?
My concern is not emissions, as I will be registering one out of state, and the other two will be going up for sale out of CA.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The answer as to whether you can determine exact build date by the VIN is, I believe, “no.” The US customs people will base the age of the car on either its first registration (you have to provide copies of the original title and registration) or (better in my opinion) you can pay the British Motor museum a certain amount to send you a Heritage certificate; their certificate has the exact build date and the date it was shipped to the dealer from the factory.
https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

·
Registered
29 Posts
The answer as to whether you can determine exact build date by the VIN is, I believe, “no.” The US customs people will base the age of the car on either its first registration (you have to provide copies of the original title and registration) or (better in my opinion) you can pay the British Motor museum a certain amount to send you a Heritage certificate; their certificate has the exact build date and the date it was shipped to the dealer from the factory.
https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates
Zambian titles show: " DATE OF MANUFACTURE " nd below 1975. I know at home it can be like " 10/74 " and be sold as a 1975 model.
I think the South African titles read the same way. I know in the US ( at least in CA) it can show as DATE OF MFG as one, and then DATE SOLD or MODEL YR as different.

My concern is whether they would count a 1994 model as meeting the criteria for the 25 yr importation, or split hairs to whether is before or after Jun 1st, the official split.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
My current 1994 has the month and year of date of manufacture. THAT is the date and the only date that customs cares about by the letter of the law, But if it only lists the year, then you better get that certificate that Clive mentions as that will show it. These photos are not mine. If it does not have the month, and I now see why you ask, I would bet the assume December as that only makes since. I now understand your question.

Top pic is a NAS ID sticker which ROW doesn’t have. I don’t have a row plate handy but I think you’re right that the month is typically absent.

Anyone know how long the certificates take to get?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
EV Conversions are legal in CA

Not covered in the very sobering first post is: what about an electric (EV) converted Defender - will California allow that? The second question might be has anyone here done that yet...
Just wanted to chime in here. My company does EV conversions albeit not on Defenders (Analog Motor Co.) and it’s a simple change at the DMV, they change the “G” or “D” to “E”, and it’s no longer necessary to smog. Take it from someone who knows what they are talking about and has done it before.

I have a 1991 gas Defender 110 also, and it is licensed in CA. Just has to pass smog.

The best move for anyone, is to import the vehicle, have the importer title and plate the car in the import state (ie Florida), drive or ship to CA, and have a VIN VERIFIER come to your home and complete the registration paperwork for a small fee. Take that paperwork to AAA (Not DMV) and then get your plates after it passes smog.

Everyone hating on CA needs to educate themselves.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
So you have a 1991 gas engine truck that you have gotten through the smog process ? Please explain

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
if it does happen, wont impact for YEARS due to the legal challenges. So dont get too excited. Also California, like every other state has the right to choose what they want to register for the road, no matter the smog certification, so grey market vehicles will still most likely be illegal...but really who knows.

there are a TON of already registered truck on California craigslist...why not choose one of those non-shitty ones ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Suggestions for a new gas tank for an ‘83 110 with an LS3. I need a gas tank that works with the OBD. Working on getting my CA sticker

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
I was under the impression that the tank needs to be the same volume as the donor so the original ECU setting for the emissions tests it runs are correct/compliant. Maybe you can do that with a combination os stock and saddle tanks?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend is in the military and wants me to pick up his 1989 Ninety diesel 2.5l in Los Angeles and looking for suggestions of what DMV I should go to. And any guidance of paperwork to fill out. He said since he can ship it, that he will be able to register it. But i really dont know much

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Suggestions for a new gas tank for an ‘83 110 with an LS3. I need a gas tank that works with the OBD. Working on getting my CA sticker
Not going to get an LS3 past the ref in CA. Only light duty truck engines have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not going to get an LS3 past the ref in CA. Only light duty truck engines have a chance.
Is there a list anywhere of potential CA-compliant (50 state, newer than truck, GVWR rated, etc.) swappable motors that would make sense in a Defender? Would be fun to look at...

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
There is no list . You need an equivalent engine:

Light duty truck engine
Newer model year
All emissions equipment
California spec

If it hits these you can swap it in AS LONG AS YOUR TRUCK ALREADY HAS REGISTRATION AND A TITLE.

you can't just throw this into a row truck and make it legal

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
There is no list . You need an equivalent engine:

Light duty truck engine
Newer model year
All emissions equipment
California spec

If it hits these you can swap it in AS LONG AS YOUR TRUCK ALREADY HAS REGISTRATION AND A TITLE.

you can't just throw this into a row truck and make it legal
So, I have a NAS with an LS swap--could I swap back in the rover engine, take it to CA and register it (family there) and THEN swap in an LS without having to go through CARB?

361 - 380 of 417 Posts