Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Meh, I surely wouldn't drop $14k on that watch.

·
Premium Member
6,047 Posts
What? $14,000? For that??? I didn’t even care to look at the pricing. Are you kidding me? I figured it for a sub-1k piece. Somebody’s got delusions of grandeur. I’ll take matching SS Daytonas instead please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The price for the watch itself (a Ltd edition El Primero) isn’t ridiculous, but the design is a bit uninspired. The rotor is cool, but not very distinctively Defender and grey and orange isn’t exactly what comes to mind when I think Defender.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
A 1/100th of a second mechanical chronograph is an amazing and rare thing. Zenith is making cool stuff at great prices now (same with UN). Cross marketing is tacky both ways, but people pay this money for a Rolex.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I truly don't get this. We U.S. taxpayers spend $750 million a year to blanket the globe with timing signals that are accurate to with a few billionths of a second, with an ultra-redundant, ultra-reliable network administered by the U.S. Air Force, known as GPS. What it comes down to is these days, anyone can have atomic clock accuracy on their desktop if they want to. I have bunch of inexpensive mobile devices that can receive and display this timing information, including a couple of wristwatches. And some people pay $14K, or more, for a thing that's supposed to keep time, but does so with far less accuracy? I don't see the value proposition.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I truly don't get this. We U.S. taxpayers spend $750 million a year to blanket the globe with timing signals that are accurate to with a few billionths of a second, with an ultra-redundant, ultra-reliable network administered by the U.S. Air Force, known as GPS. What it comes down to is these days, anyone can have atomic clock accuracy on their desktop if they want to. I have bunch of inexpensive mobile devices that can receive and display this timing information, including a couple of wristwatches. And some people pay $14K, or more, for a thing that's supposed to keep time, but does so with far less accuracy? I don't see the value proposition.
At first blush, I’d agree, but when you look at the artistry of a tiny mechanical device that keeps time pretty accurately without being synced to the atomic clock, that’s where the ‘value’ is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I used to collect watches but they have become so overpriced, I stopped years ago. Now I collect pinball machines, which have now, also become equally ridiculously priced. But at least they generally hold their value much better.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
GPS can be spoofed. A mechanical watch can not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts