Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a way to support the tranny + transfer case that remain in the vehicle once the motor is out and I am rolling the vehicle back and forth.

I am finally all set to replace my stock 3.9 L with a nicely built 4.6 from RPI that just recently arrived. I have a gantry setup that straddles my 4 post lift. My shop is very small with not a high ceiling. So I am almost certain I will have to push the D90 out of the garage off the lift ramps once I remove the original motor in order to get the new motor (mounted on the engine stand) under the lift cross member. This is not a problem as I have set up a way to quickly winch the car back onto the lift with a come-a-long. But the transmission and transfer case need to be supported from below. If the vehicle remained stationary, I could support the tranny off the floor with a floor jack, bottle jack / wood, anything. Since I'll roll the D90 in and out one time, I want to support the tranny and transfer case off the frame cross member or maybe even off the frame cross member and front roll bar as the tranny and transfer case are not too heavy.

I am certain this can be done in a stupid way or in a smart way. Does any one have any wisdom to offer from their experience doing this same operation?

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you have a welder, I'm sure you can make some sort of lever/brace that can take advantage of being supported by the front axle and swaybar (if installed). That would work great as long as it's just rolling and not being jacked up causing axle droop.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
A piece of uni-strut or lumber - across the frame rail (watch out for the fuel and brake lines) and tight to the face of the bell housing and use the top bolt hole on the bell housing (or whatever lines up the best) and through bolt it to the uni-strut.

Its not that its heavy since its resting on its own mounts (Im assuming) - and it just needs to stop from pivoting on those mounts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Block it up using/from the crossmember…
Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. I cut a 2 X 6 to fit and made it thicker at one end with additional material. Simply slid it in on top of the cross member and sway bar. Easy peasy. Just for good measure, I put a jack and stand underneath on a rolling jack platform. Seems I now have a used 3.9 to trip over. If anyone needs a core, for heads or block, please lemme know. It's got some mles on it, but the cam (of course you'd replace it) has no worn lobes or pitting.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts