Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I've recently bought a defender 90 td5 and I've had it about 3 weeks and the fuel pump has gone on it! Been researching what can be done and looks like the only way to do it is by cutting a hole above the tank or dropping the tank. I was just wondering whether anyone knows if you can fit a pump on the outside of the tank to save cutting the hole or dropping the tank again in future, I can't seem to think of any reason why not?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I wouldn't put a pump outside the tank - the fuel is used to cool the pump. I had a CJ converted to use fuel injection and part of the kit was an external fuel pump. The fuel pump always gave me problems; I ended up buying a fuel tank that I could use an internal pump with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't put a pump outside the tank - the fuel is used to cool the pump. I had a CJ converted to use fuel injection and part of the kit was an external fuel pump. The fuel pump always gave me problems; I ended up buying a fuel tank that I could use an internal pump with.
Thanks a lot I thought there was a reason why no one had done it, just couldn't think why!!!

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
Drop the tank, install a new Genuine fuel pump. Cheap aftermarket pumps like Britpart etc. won't last nearly as long as a new genuine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts