Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really sorry to have to write this and if someone wants to move this to another place...please feel free to do so.

So I recently purchased 2 different items from 2 different Defender Source members. Both members received funds from me within 24 hours of initial contact after pics, emails, and payment/shipping information was exchanged. Payments were done through bank transfer or PAYPAL.

Lots of contact before the sale, but since sending $...I have not received anything. No tracking #'s although both have said they would send. Item #1 was a set of wheel arches purchased on Dec 5th. Item #2 was a fender skin purchased on Dec 28th. It's Jan 17th!

I really don't want to name these individuals, but I paid for these items and they have not shown up. The money outlay at $200 USD total is not breaking the bank, but that's not the point...I'm not sure what I could have done differently.

The other issue is that I want to purchase some other parts, but now am a bit gun shy of using this site for purchases. Anybody have any logical thoughts on this?...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Have you tried contacting the sellers? I had purchased a few items around the holidays as well that didn't make it to me for several weeks...I ended up contacting the sellers both of which apologized for the delays. If you have tried to contact them w/o response and still don't have your parts then I wouldn't be shy about sharing their names so they can be avoided in the future.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
By any chance were these people messaging you privately after you posted "wanted ads"? Because if so, you more likely got scammed by non-regulars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 5 unanswered emails for the wheel arches purchased Dec 5th and have 7 unanswered Whatsapp messages for the purchase made Dec 28th. I sent another round requesting tracking information this morning.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Did they contact you independent of the “ad” or did they post an ad that you responded to? There were a slew of scams recently where people with very few posts contacted you directly that did not post it for sale thread saying they have the same item Or a friend had them... most here with a lot of posts are quite honest... but low post numbers, particularly under 100, I shy away from.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked up one of the messages and now the member is "BANNED" So I'm guessing that I am out of luck with regards to these purchases. No more purchases through Defender Source. F**king A**holes!

I have 5 unanswered emails for the wheel arches purchased Dec 5th and have 7 unanswered Whatsapp messages for the purchase made Dec 28th. I sent another round requesting tracking information this morning.

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
If it is a new account with no posts, then you clearly should not be buying things from that person. Do a bit of research. Have they sold things before? Have people complained?

Where these ads on here or people PM responding to your wanted requests? If the latter, you should always be extra careful to investigate their accounts. Anyone can make an account on here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've purchased items on here for several years without issue. I guess I'll be more careful by not purchasing anything second hand anymore. It's obviously not worth it AND clearly a problem for Defender Source.

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
I would hardly say it’s a problem here. There was a guy trying to scam people last year by private messaging people. There was a thread on it.

It is a rare case where a guy scammed people for a few days. It seems you got caught up in it.

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
Someone that with no posts that just signed up sends you a PM. You send that person money. It is this site's fault?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Someone that with no posts that just signed up sends you a PM. You send that person money. It is this site's fault?
Have to agree with this, it's a common scam across forums and irrelevant to the forum it occurs on.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I got one of those scam messages awhile back. I could tell right away something didn’t feel right so ignored it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
A majority here are good people but I definitely stay away from the low posts and avoid anyone that wants to be contacted directly via text/email. Certainly be wary of anyone that contacts you directly, especially in the wanted section.

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
And pay with PayPal so you can file a claim and get your money back.

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
The PayPal thing can suck as I know I always pay as a gift and ask to be paid as a gift.

Honestly I would have been scammed by the guy too. I was looking for springs for my 109 and the guy wrote me. If they were right I would have just paid but alas he sent me a pic of coils.

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
Yes. Do not pay as a gift unless you know the person and can trust them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is not the site's fault, but the site does provide a way for all these people to come together. Legitimate and scammers alike. I'll just not use the site any longer for buying. That will be my choice and it's unfortunate that this happens.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Kind of funny I just finished reading this a new ad for split rims popped up, 1 post poster?

·
Registered
133 Posts
No need to abandon purchases here. It's no different than CL or anywhere else. If the seller doesn't check out, don't buy. If they do, then your experience will continue same as before you got scammed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts