Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So, I've owned a few vintage broncos but new to the defender world. Parked defender, left it in gear, didn't use ebrake, and it ended up 10 feet from where i left it. My driveway isn't on a big incline at all. I read the ebrake wasn't that great but never imagined it would roll on a slight slope in gear. What's the deal?

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Hand brake always! Engines turn when compression is lost as gravity sucks. You read wrong that the hand brake is not great, grabs like shite to a blanket.
You should even use the hand brake on an auto, that little parking pawl is a bitch to replace.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Can't tell from your post if the handbrake was set or not...
What engine, what gear?
My guess is a gasoline engine 4 or 8 cylinder.
If it was a shitty old Land Rover diesel, it is worn out or you put it in a high gear trying to get reverse.
Couldn't have been an auto box in park.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
My driveway is sloped. And that’s why I chock it. I have a set of rubber chocks from the airport. Work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
The parking brake is like 1 of 3 things land rover got right
I guess style and suspension are the other 2? Couldn’t come up with a 4th... but everything just bolts together so....

I agree— either wasn’t in gear, or broken. That shouldn’t happen. Even to a 4cyl petrol...

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK. So, I've owned a few vintage broncos but new to the defender world. Parked defender, left it in gear, didn't use ebrake, and it ended up 10 feet from where i left it. My driveway isn't on a big incline at all. I read the ebrake wasn't that great but never imagined it would roll on a slight slope in gear. What's the deal?
I too am an early bronco convert to the rover world.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't tell from your post if the handbrake was set or not...
What engine, what gear?
My guess is a gasoline engine 4 or 8 cylinder.
If it was a shitty old Land Rover diesel, it is worn out or you put it in a high gear trying to get reverse.
Couldn't have been an auto box in park.
95 Manual V8 NAS. Parking brake was not set.

·
Super Moderator
12,290 Posts
so, what would it be?
No idea. You need someone to look at it. Maybe slipping clutch. Box that pops out of gear. Low engine compression.

What gear were you in?

In any case, you should always use the parking brake on a manual.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I parked a Series III on a steep hill in Richmond. Left it in gear with the brake on.
When I went around to lock the back door it started moving away from the key.
Was able to hold onto the side of the vehicle enough to get back to the drivers door and open it, get inside and drive to a flat spot to park.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts