Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think you would have to make it a hybrid for that reason wouldn't you? Between aerodynamics and tires that are not known for increasing mileage I can imagine that range would be really sub-par. The upside is if you went with 40hp electric motors per wheel the power that thing would have to go anywhere it wanted to would be insane. I will watch this thread closely...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks like ECD will be offering an electric conversion...very intriguing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Curious to know if you've heard anything from EV West. I'm in San Diego with a '97 NAS and just got a Tesla... and now I'm wishing I could have an EV gas hybrid 90 (which I know is pie-in-the-sky). My fear with converting a 90 to electric would be the terrible range. These vehicles are one of the worst vehicles ever made in the aerodynamics department...
Nothing back from EVW yet but not too surprising given the current circumstances. I take your point about the range but these vehicles also offer more battery storage potential than most, so that should help. Hope to have some updates soon

·
Premium Member
7,621 Posts
Curious to know if you've heard anything from EV West. I'm in San Diego with a '97 NAS and just got a Tesla... and now I'm wishing I could have an EV gas hybrid 90 (which I know is pie-in-the-sky). My fear with converting a 90 to electric would be the terrible range. These vehicles are one of the worst vehicles ever made in the aerodynamics department...
Why do you want an EV 90? Is it a fossil fuel thing?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I was really interested about this until I read this:

"Most conversions cost about $7K – $12K for the drive system parts including motor, controller, adapter, charger, gauges, safety disconnects, power steering pump, power brake pump, battery box’s and suspension upgrades.
Battery cost then adds about $1,000 for every 10km of range so a 100km (60 miles) range car will need about $10,000 in lithium batteries.
Heavier vehicles like small pickups and vans will require more battery to get the same range."

So I would need about $35000 worth of batteries to get the same crappy range as my JK?? Really?? Am I missing something, you would never see a return on your investment and I don't know if fossil fuels are any worse than lithium batteries and coal or natural gas fired electrical supplies in the long run, I won't even start with biomass burning.

Sean

·
Premium Member
9,782 Posts
No you're not missing anything at all.
Unless you put your own kit together and do all the research and find the right batteries for the job, you remain at the mercy of the "experts" who are free to charge what ever they want and often have people standing in line with their checkbooks.

For that kind of money you could get a hydrogen concentrator and fuel cell or a natural gas compressor, but you would still need a tow when your fuel runs out on a trip or the ability to switch to gasoline and then what's the point.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Hi, company Plower https://www.plower.nl from Netherlands did very interesting advances:

Technical specifications:

Maximum power: 214 bhp / 380Nm torque
Continuous power: 160 bhp / 300Nm torque
Batteries: +75 kWh of highly efficient liquid cooled battery cells
Range: +260km (official range tests to be finalized)
Wading depth: 800mm
Kerb weight: Just 300kg heavier than a standard 90 / 110
Operating temperature: -20 °C to +50 °C
Fast charge: Ready

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hi, company Plower https://www.plower.nl from Netherlands did very interesting advances:

Technical specifications:

Maximum power: 214 bhp / 380Nm torque
Continuous power: 160 bhp / 300Nm torque
Batteries: +75 kWh of highly efficient liquid cooled battery cells
Range: +260km (official range tests to be finalized)
Wading depth: 800mm
Kerb weight: Just 300kg heavier than a standard 90 / 110
Operating temperature: -20 °C to +50 °C
Fast charge: Ready
Thanks - another good source to investigate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been a lurker on here for a while but I feel it's time to come out of hiding as you guys need to check out Electric Classic Cars in the UK. They're the only guys in the world I know of who are seriously converting Defenders to electric and I've read are the guys behind the ECD electric Defenders too, they also ship kits down to Africa to make electric game viewers. Check out their social media feeds for a load of electric Defender videos. www.electricclassiccars.co.uk

·
Administrator
11,719 Posts
There is a facebook group for rover electric conversions and it seems a number of people are doing it now. You won't find any kits other than some really expensive ones that I am not sure are even really available as kits yet (in other words I think you would have to get them to do it for you too). There is no cheap conversion that includes good range.

Cheapest would be buy a nissan leaf as a donor and get sucky range.

Best is a wrecked tesla donor. People are putting LSD diffs in a tesla motor/gearbox and mounting it where the transfer case goes.

I am not a good example of doing a conversion, since I started my conversion over 7 years ago and got sidetracked with life for a while. Slowly getting back into it

I started before I had to many options, and have plenty sunk into my existing motor and charger etc, but might go with tesla batteries now, Last on the list at this point, and very expensive.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts