Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I'm repeating a regular thread but I had a quick search and nothing came up - so, I've been looking for an engine swap for my '86 110 FFR fitted with the 2.5D N/A. It's a slug and means I can't really contemplate longer journeys. Most of the diesel swaps out there employ less-than-perfect alternatives and are generally pricey and/or illegal in California. So, I've been looking at some of the EV conversions and they seem to have come a long way in the past few years, while the prices have also come down somewhat. Does anybody on here have experience of newer EV conversions, or have any recommendations? I did some work with EV West a few years ago and they seem to know what they were doing, but are there any decent conversions kits you know of or are you familiar with companies that will convert my truck? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
making it EV wont make it legal in California. Its still grey market and they arent legal here.

First Q: do you already have it plated here as a diesel?

Second Q: a 200TDI swap is a weekend project for this truck and will triple your driveability

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
making it EV wont make it legal in California. Its still grey market and they arent legal here.
Grey market cars are legal in California as long as they're legally in the country, as are many diesel swaps. Most people don't bother because of the number of hoops to jump through and high cost for CARB compliance. Switching to EV opens a whole separate set of headaches.

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
Grey market cars are legal in California as long as they're legally in the country, as are many diesel swaps. Most people don't bother because of the number of hoops to jump through and high cost for CARB compliance. Switching to EV opens a whole separate set of headaches.

2000000% false

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

First Q: do you already have it plated here as a diesel?

Second Q: a 200TDI swap is a weekend project for this truck and will triple your driveability
It's already CA-plated. that's not the issue...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is CA-plated and legal. I'm not trying to circumvent anything other than fitting another ordinary engine for a lot of money. I'd like to think about a new alternative and was hoping somebody here might have some experience with EV conversions

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
If you are already Cali plated as a diesel then yea, converting to electric isn't an issue.

I can't see however how it would be cheaper than putting In a used 200tdi. You could snag a runner for 2k, drops right in

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
2000000% false
What's false about it? There's a company in San Diego called Defender Traders that sells CARB compliant grey market Defenders (that have been through G&K) with California title and reg. I know people with all manner of grey market cars here, in January I looked at two recently imported RHD Skylines that are in the process of being registered in California. One has been to G&K, just needed to finish up with their CHP inspection, the other was supposed to go to G&K before the virus issues arose. It isn't impossible to get many of the legally imported grey market vehicles registered here, typically the cost for the process is far more than most people want to spend.

I do agree with you on the 200tdi vs EV, but even an EV transplant needs to go to CARB for them to look at the new power plant and make sure everything complies.

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
I'm not going to pollute this thread any further. You said grey market is legal if it's legally here. It's not , unless it's been "modified" by g&k. That's what I'm saying . In your post you don't go Into what need to be done, you just say they are legal ...and they aren't .

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
...Most people don't bother because of the number of hoops to jump through and high cost for CARB compliance. ...
You said grey market is legal if it's legally here. It's not , unless it's been "modified" by g&k. That's what I'm saying . In your post you don't go Into what need to be done, you just say they are legal ...and they aren't .
That would be the "hoops" and high cost part I originally spoke of, didn't think this was a registration question so I didn't see a need to go further as there's a whole thread on the subject.

Back on topic, I do know a gentleman who converted a small domestic pick up to EV that was denied in its CARB compliance inspection. I believe he did the swap himself which might have been a factor. I never followed up with BAR to find out why it failed.

CT, from your original post you should speak to EV West again. They'd be the best source for answers in their area of expertise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’ve been looking into an EV conversion as well. I didn’t have any luck finding any kind of kit available for them other than ERevon from Montreal and Plower, a company from the Netherlands who does a complete conversion for defenders.

There are several companies similar to EV West but I would just contact them again and see if they’re interested as I understand they do good work. Please let us know what you end up finding or doing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Drove a landcruise 79 safari car converted to EV here in Kenya. The motor bolts directly to the transfer. They have a defender conversion too I'm due to have a look at. Very very different driving experience. Not sure how it would help but I could always ask for specs etc just for you to have a look at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Curious to know if you've heard anything from EV West. I'm in San Diego with a '97 NAS and just got a Tesla... and now I'm wishing I could have an EV gas hybrid 90 (which I know is pie-in-the-sky). My fear with converting a 90 to electric would be the terrible range. These vehicles are one of the worst vehicles ever made in the aerodynamics department...

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
Curious to know if you've heard anything from EV West. I'm in San Diego with a '97 NAS and just got a Tesla... and now I'm wishing I could have an EV gas hybrid 90 (which I know is pie-in-the-sky). My fear with converting a 90 to electric would be the terrible range. These vehicles are one of the worst vehicles ever made in the aerodynamics department...
My concern as well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts