Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 D90 on trickle charger but battery needs to be replaced. Mainly weekend driver only and sits in garage 5-6 days at a time without starting, single battery setup, occasional winch use. Not many accessories, just Hella LEDs.
Searched for battery options but most of the posts are older. Heard good/bad on Optima.
ANY battery recommendations or just go with a normal, stock type?

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you are not doing any heavy wheeling a regular OE battery is fine for what you describe IMO.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Yep. any .old battery is fine. Only go AGM if you are into serious off road.

Install a battery disconnect switch and then it will stop running down.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any particular brand OEM that is reliable? Maybe a good ole' Die Hard battery?
As far as battery disconnect: If I have a trickle charger do I still need a battery disconnect?

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Well... If it died, then either your charger is not very good or you are not keeping it plugged in or it can't keep up. Basically a fully charged battery will last nearly forever. 20 years should not be a problem. It is letting them get drained that kills them.

I can't help with what or where to buy. I live in a different world.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This thread had some good recommendations:

Optima batteries are not what they used to be now that they are owned by Johnson Controls. If you need a spendy battery and want to get your money's worth, go with the Odyssey. Otherwise, any major store brand battery will serve you well if maintained properly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well crap... I have this as a battery tender:
NOCO Genius G1100 6V/12V 1.1 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer
from Amazon and thought it was doing it's job. Should be maintaining battery. Plugged in 24/7 with indicator lights.

Well... If it died, then either your charger is not very good or you are not keeping it plugged in or it can't keep up. Basically a fully charged battery will last nearly forever. 20 years should not be a problem. It is letting them get drained that kills them.

I can't help with what or where to buy. I live in a different world.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Well crap... I have this as a battery tender:
NOCO Genius G1100 6V/12V 1.1 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer
from Amazon and thought it was doing it's job. Should be maintaining battery. Plugged in 24/7 with indicator lights.
That should work fine. Maybe it is something else in the battery's history. Is the vehicle charging working okay?

I fixed the link above.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am in idiot. The battery tender I have is rated 40A and the current battery is 70A so will not GET to a full charge. Just got off phone with support. Going with different trickle charger/maintainer. See if I can get to full charge first THEN determine if battery issue or not. Red90 you are correct, should get MANY more years of service from this battery. Terrapintige thank you for URL.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Well, I am in idiot. The battery tender I have is rated 40A and the current battery is 70A so will not GET to a full charge. Just got off phone with support. Going with different trickle charger/maintainer.
That really should have no impact. If the light makes it to green, it is fine. The size of the battery is meaningless. If you have a 1 Amp drain, then you have a problem in the vehicle that needs fixing. The alternator should be keeping it charged, so the charger is just keeping it topped up.

You need to make sure the alternator is working correctly and keeping up and that you do not have a crazy high drain when parked.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
My go to is Costco. They sell interstate batteries these days. They have IMO a fantastic warranty policy. Every three years I drive to Costco, pull battery and exchange it for a new one. They have record of when u bought it and exchange with no questions asked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use a CTEK smart charger - trickle chargers can overheat and damage batteries but the smart chargers should regulate what is needed and maintain a full charge without damaging the battery. They also have an intelligent charging cycle, which again avoids overheating the battery during the process. CTEK can be more expensive but they're used by every premium European OE (except Lotus, for some reason) including Land Rover.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
If you drive it every 5-6 days I don't see why a healthy battery would need a trickle charger.

I agree that Costco is a fantastic place to get batteries for normal non-extreme use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts