Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know if anyone knows for sure if a Discovery series 1 (1989-1998) front differential is the same as the front differential used in a 1992 Land Rover Defender? The reason I am asking is because I am currently converting a 1992 Defender 110 that is RHD over to LHD. Initially I talked to Rovers North and got squared away with all the part numbers to convert it all over but when placing the order the right hand swivel pin housing turned out to be discontinued which put me in a tight spot. Unfortunately I dont have a lot of knowledge on as far as compatibility goes on these Defenders since they are not my typical vehicle I work on. If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
I am not 100% sure if each and every component is identical, but the assemblies do interchange 1 for 1.
Brakes are different, as well as the steering arm, but the steering box can move with the front differential assembly as long as you use the Disco I track rods.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Wanted to know if anyone knows for sure if a Discovery series 1 (1989-1998) front differential is the same as the front differential used in a 1992 Land Rover Defender? The reason I am asking is because I am currently converting a 1992 Defender 110 that is RHD over to LHD. Initially I talked to Rovers North and got squared away with all the part numbers to convert it all over but when placing the order the right hand swivel pin housing turned out to be discontinued which put me in a tight spot. Unfortunately I dont have a lot of knowledge on as far as compatibility goes on these Defenders since they are not my typical vehicle I work on. If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would appreciate it!
Why not just buy an entire axle assembly ready to roll under the truck? I have complete hub to hub set ups for probably cheaper than piecing it together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not just buy an entire axle assembly ready to roll under the truck? I have complete hub to hub set ups for probably cheaper than piecing it together.
Will,
that does sound like a better idea. When talking to Rovers north I explained what was being done on the project and the most effective way of doing it and they never mentioned having an entire front axle assembly

·
Super Moderator
14,318 Posts
Discos from 89 to 93 are different and there are two axle variations in those years. Defender axles of the same period were different again.

From 94 on they used the same axles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.