Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a Defender 130 6x6 to buy. Prefer already in the USA.
Open to suggestions. There was one in California earlier this year, but I do not have the contact information for the seller.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears he has gone silent last year at some point. i sent message and hope to get a response. Thanks.
Any other leads appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,989 Posts
IMO... It is better to do it yourself. Every 6x6 build is different and most do a pretty crappy job. It is not an easy, nor low cost task to do the mechanicals properly. Maintaining good wheel travel and getting drive to the rear axle is not a simple task and requires a lot of knowledgeable custom work.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a great client that wants a 6x6. He has seen the Mercedes version that ROCKs anything off the planet and wants a Himalaya version. The concept I designed is gorgeous but need the appropriate truck to start with.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
I think what Red is trying to say is that while it may look "gorgeous" you may want to do the 6x6 conversion yourself to ensure it's also capable and enjoyable to drive.

·
Super Moderator
12,989 Posts
What about sourcing a Perentie 6x6, now that they are old enough to import? They are a bit unique (wider) but if nothing else you could look at sourcing a rolling chassis from down south.

-Jeff
They have limitations and as long as you are fine with them, ok. I suspect the Himalaya client wants more. They use the LT95 for the rear drive, which leaves you stuck with a 4 speed manual. They are designed as a heavy payload vehicle and have very little wheel travel.

Doing is right is big buck, which probably this client has. But it also require very good engineering. I would probably start with custom axles from these guys: Differential Engine - Winter Haven, FL - 9" Inch Tandem's 6 x 6 and then get someone on board that really knows how to design suspension.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So then what is the point of a 6x6?

-Jeff
In this case its a one off blow your mind hot rod. Not a work truck. Himalaya version of the Mercedes 6x6.
A tall order with a brave wallet.
It should be a pretty cool build, but need to get the right parts for it. I don't think standard Defender axles would cut it.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
So then what is the point of a 6x6? -Jeff
It's the embodiment of style and function being inversely proportional to wealth.

Reactions: Ash

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
I have seen and been inside the Mercedes one -it is actually one of the most outstanding vehicles I have ever seen in person! If I had gobs of $$$$ there is no way I would buy anything else...no offense Mark, but a Defender just doesn't cut it against one of these. They have all the G level comfort, electronic lockers on all axles, and every creature comfort known. I would expect that building a D like that would be more moolah than buying the Mercedes.

Good luck - and I can't wait to see pics of your build.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I have seen and been inside the Mercedes one -it is actually one of the most outstanding vehicles I have ever seen in person! If I had gobs of $$$$ there is no way I would buy anything else...no offense Mark, but a Defender just doesn't cut it against one of these. They have all the G level comfort, electronic lockers on all axles, and every creature comfort known. I would expect that building a D like that would be more moolah than buying the Mercedes.

Good luck - and I can't wait to see pics of your build.
That's kind of what I was thinking. As a builder I know a lot of techniques and methods that can really improve the overall feel of a Defender, but even the best Defender just can't compare to a late model G. Those things are built like bank vaults.

-Ash

·
Registered
88' 110
633 Posts
Mark - Unfortunately it's not in the U.S., and it's not a 130, but I came across this today (April edition of Land Rover monthly).

image-1692504717.jpg

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Along those lines, I forgot that my brother sent me a few pics a couple of weeks ago:

image-1423962543.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys

We do see plenty of the 6x6 versions around here. Actually the army is selling off their Land rovers and buying Mercs of all kinds. Have a look at the Australian Frontline Machinery website for some cool Land Rovers

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
They have limitations and as long as you are fine with them, ok. I suspect the Himalaya client wants more. They use the LT95 for the rear drive, which leaves you stuck with a 4 speed manual. They are designed as a heavy payload vehicle and have very little wheel travel. Doing is right is big buck, which probably this client has. But it also require very good engineering. I would probably start with custom axles from these guys: Differential Engine - Winter Haven, FL - 9" Inch Tandem's 6 x 6 and then get someone on board that really knows how to design suspension.
I have met Steve as some friends of mine know him well. I have seen his ford 6x6 and it looks factory.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts