Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I agree with post # 4.

Second and just a note here .. you should not shift a manual transmission while the engine is NOT running. Not unless you like replacing scyncros. Rotation of the input shaft supply lube and the shifting gears while not spinning will damage the synchronizes.
Even breaking ,chipping, or breaking the teeth if you use force.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I agree with post # 4.

Second and just a note here .. you should not shift a manual transmission while the engine is NOT running. Not unless you like replacing scyncros. Rotation of the input shaft supply lube and the shifting gears while not spinning will damage the synchronizes.
Even breaking ,chipping, or breaking the teeth if you use force.

??? this is definitely the first I've heard of this. Syncros are designed to allow you to shift while gears are moving, when the vehicle is off, the gears are not moving. I can't imagine it even being possible to do any real damage while the gears are not moving. There shouldn't be any resistance going into any gear while the vehicle is off

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
A straight cut gear can be forced at any time a sysncroized transmission rely of rotation to center the ring and the same rotation to allow them to " mesh" with out having to match rpm and " float" the gear like large commercial transmissions. If you take a synchronizer apart you will fine floating center sections held in place by spring rings. These use the rotation " spin" allowing centripetal force to assist you in shifting gears the alignment teeth are cut like the bow of a boat to guide and " mesh" the gears. They are not load bearing. If you force a gear that is not aligned, your ramming a harder steel gear against soft brass .
So, in essence shifting a sysncroized transmission with out rotation is called " dry shifting" for a reason. It is not advised. Sysncroized transmissions don't like it. Transmission builders like me ... we do.. it's your Transmission.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
A straight cut gear can be forced at any time a sysncroized transmission rely of rotation to center the ring and the same rotation to allow them to " mesh" with out having to match rpm and " float" the gear like large commercial transmissions. If you take a synchronizer apart you will fine floating center sections held in place by spring rings. These use the rotation " spin" allowing centripetal force to assist you in shifting gears the alignment teeth are cut like the bow of a boat to guide and " mesh" the gears. They are not load bearing. If you force a gear that is not aligned, your ramming a harder steel gear against soft brass .
So, in essence shifting a sysncroized transmission with out rotation is called " dry shifting" for a reason. It is not advised. Sysncroized transmissions don't like it. Transmission builders like me ... we do.. it's your Transmission.
Thank you for the explanation, definitely the first I had heard of this

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I would like to apologize for hijacking your thread.
In my experience . It sounds like either the slave is not extending far enough, ain in system or damage to master or slave .
2) the fork is missing alignment either off the ball or slave rod is out of pocket.
3) the fork is not properly attached to the throw out bearing.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts