Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
If the truck is off, and you put the t-case into gear, and the gearbox into one of the gears, does the truck start to lurch forward when you turn the ignition?

If so, it's probably a hydraulic issue, and there's an issue with the slave or master.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
In general, I can't imagine why it wouldnt shift gears when the truck is off unless there's a linkage issue or something internal to the transmission.

If the truck doesnt shift out of gear while the vehicle is off, clutch hydraulics wouldnt be my concern.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I agree with post # 4.

Second and just a note here .. you should not shift a manual transmission while the engine is NOT running. Not unless you like replacing scyncros. Rotation of the input shaft supply lube and the shifting gears while not spinning will damage the synchronizes.
Even breaking ,chipping, or breaking the teeth if you use force.

??? this is definitely the first I've heard of this. Syncros are designed to allow you to shift while gears are moving, when the vehicle is off, the gears are not moving. I can't imagine it even being possible to do any real damage while the gears are not moving. There shouldn't be any resistance going into any gear while the vehicle is off

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
A straight cut gear can be forced at any time a sysncroized transmission rely of rotation to center the ring and the same rotation to allow them to " mesh" with out having to match rpm and " float" the gear like large commercial transmissions. If you take a synchronizer apart you will fine floating center sections held in place by spring rings. These use the rotation " spin" allowing centripetal force to assist you in shifting gears the alignment teeth are cut like the bow of a boat to guide and " mesh" the gears. They are not load bearing. If you force a gear that is not aligned, your ramming a harder steel gear against soft brass .
So, in essence shifting a sysncroized transmission with out rotation is called " dry shifting" for a reason. It is not advised. Sysncroized transmissions don't like it. Transmission builders like me ... we do.. it's your Transmission.
Thank you for the explanation, definitely the first I had heard of this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts