Defender Source Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 110
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

Awesome! I’m checking torque on every bolt, new shoes, adjusting toe.

However, UPS delayed due to “operating” conditions. Dang.

·
Premium Member
1988 110
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So OEM rubber bushings arrived PLD775 is the rubber equivalent to the yellow polybush that comes with the HD panhard rod. Now to ream out the mounting points to accommodate the M16 bolts.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Okay - the dreaded DW showed up on a recent trip. I fixed this when I first had the truck. NO ISSUES for 20,000 miles:

Done so far

1) Replaced Panhard Bushings
2) Set swivel preload (10lbs each side)
3) Inspected track rod and ends (toe is correct, and tie rod ends are fine)
4) Balanced and rotated tires (BF Goodrich All Terrains). Was worse when tires rotated. Replacing Tuesday
5) Checked drop arm
6) All bearing replaced 5,000 miles ago
7) All bushings replaced
8) A-Arm renewed, including the swivel on top of the axle
9) Trailing arms were replaced along with all bushings.
10) Radius arms bushings renewed

OME springs and shocks I think it's a 2" lift.

My tires suggest the toe was terrible, outside edge worn excessively Rear drivers side tire sits in 1/4" of front drivers side tire. Fine on the other side. I'm thinking its the tires, but if it exists with new shoes - I am absolutely stumped. What am I missing? Would tires fix the wobble, considering I've tracked all the other down? It is 105 outside, high humidity, and I think my mind starts to go after hour 3 under the truck. I haven't looked at the steering box, because frankly it looks impossible to adjust.

Tips and suggestions appreciated.

Matt
Matt - going through some of the same issues myself at the moment with a custom lift (Read: BIG) and the one thing I see here that is a bit off is the swivel ball preload at 10lbs. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like your tires are larger than OEM. You are going to want that preload up around 14-15lbs. I run 35s and my preload is set at 16lbs. 37s I'd run around 20lbs. Here's a good write-up: How To Adjust Your Swivel Pin Preload - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

·
Premium Member
1988 110
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well same tires and the preload was fine. But I can always remove a shim . . .

Meanwhile, the debate between buying a shop press and $90 at the local garage.

Local garage wins. Bushings are in, finish reaming the holes, and back on the road.

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
307 Posts
Pictures?! So you used the discovery 2 bushing in your defender panhard, and you had to drill the brackets on the truck to the larger bolt size?

·
Premium Member
1988 110
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Man I am literally working on this 30
Minutes at a time before kids get up, before I have to go to work, and before I go ride my bike.

so I’ll post in 2 days. It’s literally the longest 2 hour fix I’ve ever been involved in. Incidentally, this all started because my oldest wanted to drive away from her wedding reception in the defender. The wobble started on the way to the reception. I just couldn’t kill my son-in-law on day one of their marriage . . .

·
Premium Member
1988 110
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Matt - going through some of the same issues myself at the moment with a custom lift (Read: BIG) and the one thing I see here that is a bit off is the swivel ball preload at 10lbs. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like your tires are larger than OEM. You are going to want that preload up around 14-15lbs. I run 35s and my preload is set at 16lbs. 37s I'd run around 20lbs. Here's a good write-up: How To Adjust Your Swivel Pin Preload - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
Tires are 295/75 R16. 33.6 “ I think.

·
Premium Member
1988 110
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Done son. Wobble is gone at 45. Think I’m toed out according to the strings. Tonight we’ll try 75 and see if anything shakes out.

but early signs say great. Thanks ALL!!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts