Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 110
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - the dreaded DW showed up on a recent trip. I fixed this when I first had the truck. NO ISSUES for 20,000 miles:

Done so far

1) Replaced Panhard Bushings
2) Set swivel preload (10lbs each side)
3) Inspected track rod and ends (toe is correct, and tie rod ends are fine)
4) Balanced and rotated tires (BF Goodrich All Terrains). Was worse when tires rotated. Replacing Tuesday
5) Checked drop arm
6) All bearing replaced 5,000 miles ago
7) All bushings replaced
8) A-Arm renewed, including the swivel on top of the axle
9) Trailing arms were replaced along with all bushings.
10) Radius arms bushings renewed

OME springs and shocks I think it's a 2" lift.

My tires suggest the toe was terrible, outside edge worn excessively Rear drivers side tire sits in 1/4" of front drivers side tire. Fine on the other side. I'm thinking its the tires, but if it exists with new shoes - I am absolutely stumped. What am I missing? Would tires fix the wobble, considering I've tracked all the other down? It is 105 outside, high humidity, and I think my mind starts to go after hour 3 under the truck. I haven't looked at the steering box, because frankly it looks impossible to adjust.

Tips and suggestions appreciated.

Matt

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
309 Posts
Glad you are ok. Is the steering wheel straight, does it return to center after turning? What is the date code of the tires? Are you using factory rubber bushings or poly bushings? With the 2” lift, did you do any camber corrections with the radius arms? You can adjust the steering box to finesse an otherwise solid set up, but I wouldn’t suggest doing it to mask over an issue. Do you have a local rover buddy that can swap wheels/tires with you for an afternoon?

·
Premium Member
1997 D130
58 Posts
I’ve been fighting this all week myself. Pretty much did everything you have done which is very frustrating.
Finally took it to the gnarliest tyre (yes I’m British) place in the depths of Trenton and had an amazing guy rebalance all of them. It took well over an hour and he established that one was out of round…… only a certain stretch of Route 1 triggered it but it was very frightening…
There should be 20’ minutes (approx 1mm) of toe OUT… have you set that correctly.?

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1988 110
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all! New tires arrive Wednesday. Blue poly bushes (superpro I believe). All in good shape. Trailing arms are the bent ones, radius arms are the stock narrow ones. Bushings all look good, holes not oval.
I will see if the tires fix it, the current tires were submerged for 10 days in a flood. Had them 5 years now. So let see if new ones fix it.

steering is straight ahead and not vague. I’ll post results.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Does your steering shaft have a flex joint between the firewall and steering box? If so, it may be wearing out.

Reactions: roverx and Ozzie

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I assume nothing has changed with your lift to affect castor?

·
Premium Member
1988 110
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I checked the swivel pins, they were rebuilt when I did the swivel balls and bearings. Set them with a scale. Nothing changed with the lift.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Ok, check the steering joint. If you rock the steering between 11 & 1 o’clock relatively fast, that usually will reveal a weak link anywhere up front. Don’t be gentle, you want to replicate the stress of 40 mph.

Reactions: m.michaels

·
Premium Member
1988 110
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steering joints looks fine - but I’ll be the adjustable pan hard rod bushing is already chewed to hell. I don’t think this is right

iCloud

Clicking noise. Do the OEM bushes fit in there? Or do I have to use the yellow ones for the adjustable panhard? It’s an absolute b*tch to get it in there.

!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Bad panhard bush would definitely cause a problem. Sounds like you found it.

I believe OEM should fit but not 100%.

·
Premium Member
1988 110
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so you saying ditch the poly and go to rubber? i ditched the rubber and it got better. I don't want to divide the community. Which one is better?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
The most important thing when using the OEM bushes is, use as much anti-seize as possible!!!!!

Reactions: m.michaels
1 - 20 of 52 Posts