Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I could only get my hands on the engineer who designed this damn heater! I've had a bitch of a time trying to get it out, without going through the "authorized" procedure.

At this point I have all the screws out and even moved the ECU out of the way but it looks like I'll still have to remove the hood and/or the hoses.

Perhaps I'm doing the impossible by avoiding "unnecessary" removals but ...

Anyway, I do see a bunch of water pooling inside the fan so if I am lucky there may still be some in the motor causing a persistant short. I do have to take out the motor to diagnose it.

Or not...I am now seriously thinking of fitting a new assembly altogether - a non-Land Rover part, of course.

So, has anyone ever done this? I imagine there must be something that fits, is more powerful and easier to get at. And I don't need the intake to face upward. What a stupid design that is!

My search begins not too soon!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I am a little confused...are you talking about removing the heater fan...or the heator core?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The heater blower (motor) is blowing a fuse so I have to remove the entire heater to take out the motor.

I'm trying to pivot the entire heater assembly to just unscrew the motor but it's a bear!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I thought you meant the heater core...I changed one of those once and I have an air conditioner....what a bitch...

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, how did you pry the assembly out? Did you remove the hood?

Looks like I'll have to disconnect the hoses as there is no way to pry it up on the opposite end - where the motor is!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I did remove the hood....very easy to do. I had a lot of practice removing the hood from my old Series III. I changed out the core...(it leaked) which absolutely sucked...you have to get it out of that box that it is in...which is riveted together.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Summit has a aux heater but it would not work the defroster. I think Rovers North sells heater replacments for seires trucks but it may work on the 90. Do you have a manual?? I have one if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the manual. It says remove the coolant, remove the AC evap. I managed to unbolt it all without doing this. It appears the only way to get it out is upwards so the hoses would have to be removed. If so, I'll just blank them off and top up the system if need be.

The RN Mansfield appears to be too big and is definitely so in price! I've found a place called Heatercraft that has some "small" one piece heaters that may work. I would also relocate the intake and blank off the intake grille on the wing.

If the motor was on the opposite side I'd be done by now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts