Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
C-ValesD110, is there some particular reason that they included a new bulkhead in the work? Post closeup pics of known bulkhead issues?

And for the others, what does a bulkhead swap typically cost when done by a legit LR indy shop?

·
Registered
1991 d110 RDH 200tdi LT77
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Bulkhead has been patched and has some rust. I'd like to address it while pulling the engine. It is something that should be done in roughly 2 years, but seems to be easier while everything is apart from research. (Please correct if wrong) Other than that the doors have some surface rust but the rest of the vehicle is in great shape. "Refreshed" about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I do not know what a US shop charges for bulkhead swap.

Vales,
Send us some pics of the bulkhead and interior pics.
To do drivetrain and bulkhead is a bit different that just drivetrain.

You can get a new RHD bulkhead for under 2K. Remove roof, windscreen, doors. Remove wings keeping inner fender liners attached, and front grille. Remove tunnel and floors. Remove dash (helpful to have new bulkhead painted and ready to go and simply put dash back together on new) Remove steering column.

I have skipped a bunch but that’s the basics.
Now you can yank out eng/gearbox/transfer as one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I do not know what a US shop charges for bulkhead swap.

Vales,
Send us some pics of the bulkhead and interior pics.
To do drivetrain and bulkhead is a bit different that just drivetrain.

You can get a new RHD bulkhead for under 2K. Remove roof, windscreen, doors. Remove wings keeping inner fender liners attached, and front grille. Remove tunnel and floors. Remove dash (helpful to have new bulkhead painted and ready to go and simply put dash back together on new) Remove steering column.

I have skipped a bunch but that’s the basics.
Now you can yank out eng/gearbox/transfer as one.
Will take a few days. Storing at a friends at the moment. Interior is exmoor re-trim black seats and all black carpets with AC unit under the dash. Nothing too fancy. Original dash etc.

Basically the left hand side of the bulkhead is gone and has some sheet metal welded in as a temporary fix. Seals are also on the list... I get a full foot wash every-time it rains on both sides. I'd like to get a bulkhead without the flaps on the front. Do you know if that is possible? (I now have A/C)

Dash about 5 years ago. Only change is AC and new speaker... Cant hear anything over 45mph tho 🤣

AC Installed

Can see the park of the bulkhead that was replaced. (Will update with better photo soon) and my lack of seal replaced with black duct tape...
New Fender after hitting a large male moose on the hwy last spring. The bull bar saved it from probably coming into the cab and from being totaled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
over 50% higher than our rate
I was quoted in the high 60's for a Cummins swap with manual and adapter for my A/C kit by a different LR shop in Denver... What are your thoughts on the Cummins vs 200tdi for my goals and driving daily at 10k ft? (Seems like you are the man to discuss anything Cummins related with)

·
Registered
28 Posts
In response to the original question, I was in a similar situation a few years ago, I brought back a 1990 Tithonus after living in Germany for a few years and realized quickly that I would either need to upgrade the engine and figure out how to do the work myself or give up on the idea of owning a Defender. In WA there is a shop called Defenders Northwest, the owner Brian is a member here, that is set up to provide exactly what you are looking for. You bring your truck and do the work and he teaches you as you go and provides shop space and tools. He has quite a stock of parts as well which makes it convenient. I went from having never changed my own oil to doing a 300tdi conversion on my truck and have since done quite a few other projects with his help. I am by no means an expert but have increased my knowledge substantially. I am not sure I saved a ton of money in the long run vs. selling my Defender and buying a newer, nicer one but the education I've gained is part of the reason I bought the truck in the first place.

Obviously WA state is pretty far away but one idea you could consider is to ship (or drive?) your truck there, take a week off and do the conversion with him then drive it home. He likely has Turner 200tdis in stock and can order whatever, or you can bring your own parts.

Again - this won't be the cheapest option but if you are looking to save time and hands on training specific to Defenders, this is the easiest route available that I am aware of. I think I would likely have sold my Defender years ago if I didn't have his shop locally to help me through the challenges of owning a 30 year old Defender. Thankfully, I am now in a place where I don't always need to get his help to fix things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
In response to the original question, I was in a similar situation a few years ago, I brought back a 1990 Tithonus after living in Germany for a few years and realized quickly that I would either need to upgrade the engine and figure out how to do the work myself or give up on the idea of owning a Defender. In WA there is a shop called Defenders Northwest, the owner Brian is a member here, that is set up to provide exactly what you are looking for. You bring your truck and do the work and he teaches you as you go and provides shop space and tools. He has quite a stock of parts as well which makes it convenient. I went from having never changed my own oil to doing a 300tdi conversion on my truck and have since done quite a few other projects with his help. I am by no means an expert but have increased my knowledge substantially. I am not sure I saved a ton of money in the long run vs. selling my Defender and buying a newer, nicer one but the education I've gained is part of the reason I bought the truck in the first place.

Obviously WA state is pretty far away but one idea you could consider is to ship (or drive?) your truck there, take a week off and do the conversion with him then drive it home. He likely has Turner 200tdis in stock and can order whatever, or you can bring your own parts.

Again - this won't be the cheapest option but if you are looking to save time and hands on training specific to Defenders, this is the easiest route available that I am aware of. I think I would likely have sold my Defender years ago if I didn't have his shop locally to help me through the challenges of owning a 30 year old Defender. Thankfully, I am now in a place where I don't always need to get his help to fix things.
This is exactly what I was looking for! A "wrenching" holiday... or something similar. Not to mention it is in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Thank you for sharing! I can't believe no one in CO has something similar. If I cant find something like this a bit closer I think next summer might warrant a trip further west and turn it into an adventure with my better half.

·
Premium Member
13,599 Posts
I was quoted in the high 60's for a Cummins swap with manual and adapter for my A/C kit by a different LR shop in Denver... What are your thoughts on the Cummins vs 200tdi for my goals and driving daily at 10k ft? (Seems like you are the man to discuss anything Cummins related with)
Our R2.8 installed price is around 25k with the additional parts for a/c and swapping the engine front cover with spin on oil filter. What is unique about your a/c system ? There is no comparison to the 200, 300, td5, or Rover V8. The r2.8 makes 310 ft lbs of torque @ only 1500 rpm. None of those other engines make anywhere near that amount of power wide open. You can drive from Denver to the Eisenhower without ever shifting out of 5th. We had two @ last years Natl Rally up on the passes above Ouray and Telluride-13k elevation. Get in touch if that budget works.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts