Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1991 d110 RDH 200tdi LT77
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, my name is Christian and my defender is in need of some repair...

Truck was originally purchased out of the U.K. and used as a daily driver in Florida for five years and one year in Breckenridge... the time has come to repair/replace the bulk head, new trans, new engine, new t-case, and I am sure much more... I am hoping to find someone near Breckenridge, CO that would help me with the swap and act as a teacher. I am in my early 20's and would eventually like to convert the truck for overland trips, but need to expand my knowledge and skills under the hood before that... (Willing to negotiate pay for help) I'd like to learn how to fix and install versus paying a shop.

The truck still runs, but according to a well respected LR mechanic in Denver could go into "run away" at any point and is not safe to use as a daily until fixed. The truck starts and runs just fine, then after it gets to temperature it will not shut off unless manually stalled.

Appreciate any feedback or ideas! Thank you for your time and reading a little about my d110.

1991 RHD 200tdi / Lt77 Trans / About 400k miles covered and counting very slowly now...

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
FIVE things:

• find a rover shop. a random mechanic will prob lead you the wrong way
  • Replace the fuel stop solenoid in your injection pump (20 min job) part # RTC6702 this may cure your non-shutoff
  • Check the CO emissions laws, they are MORE strict than California. Many folks cant get diesels registered there
  • Be prepared to spend more then 25k to get all that work done. May be better for you to just buy another truck that is ready to go and sell yours
  • Welcome and have fun

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FIVE things:

• find a rover shop. a random mechanic will prob lead you the wrong way
  • Replace the fuel stop solenoid in your injection pump (20 min job) part # RTC6702 this may cure your non-shutoff
  • Check the CO emissions laws, they are MORE strict than California. Many folks cant get diesels registered there
  • Be prepared to spend more then 25k to get all that work done. May be better for you to just buy another truck that is ready to go and sell yours
  • Welcome and have fun
Was a respected Defender shop that made the recommendation that replacing the engine/trans would be a wise move. I'll look into replacing the solenoid. Hoping to find someone to help with a swap etc. Shop quote is around 20k, but parts are not nearly that expensive... and if I have to pay someone I would prefer to learn something along the way!

Thank you for the suggestions and quick reply.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
what engine are you swapping in? 20k isnt bad assuming it will be tons of hours of labor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what engine are you swapping in? 20k isnt bad assuming it will be tons of hours of labor.
200tdi paired with Lt77 trans.

The shop is fantastic and I think a fair price, but my main goal is to use the total budget to learn and tackle a few other things along the way. It is easy to pay a mechanic, but not so easy to fix when on an overland trip. (Ultimate goal) I'm very lucky to have a vehicle with sentimental value and very little cost to begin with, but not so lucky as I am missing that mentor/teacher figure at this point to help take the vehicle to the next step.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
oh they want 20k to swap in another 200/lt77 combo? yea thats high

Most, including me, will tell you to do a stumpy R380 with a refreshed 200 instead of a lt77.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Most, including me, will tell you to do a stumpy R380 with a refreshed 200 instead of a lt77.
[/QUOTE

The goal is to keep it true to LR and not use a Chevy or Cummins. (Have been down that rabbit hole) From everything I have read and heard that is what I am trying to accomplish! Either 200/300tdi with R380... I know the LR community is small so was hoping to find someone either retired or out of work with the corona virus to help on weekends with replacing. I no longer use it as a daily so I am flexible on timing etc.

What would you recommend if I have to go the shop route?

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
for your area, id contact the local clubs. They can be a goldmine of resources if you are looking for a non-pro to do the work.

200/300s are not hard to rebuild. literally ANY machine shop can do it wit the manual in hand. repair parts are readily available. So maybe rebuild your long in the tooth engine, buy a new stumpy r380 and throw it back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for your area, id contact the local clubs. They can be a goldmine of resources if you are looking for a non-pro to do the work.

200/300s are not hard to rebuild. literally ANY machine shop can do it wit the manual in hand. repair parts are readily available. So maybe rebuild your long in the tooth engine, buy a new stumpy r380 and throw it back in.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Dude. 20K for that is insane. As in “ow, my butt hurts, you did what” pricing.

Is is a Defender 200 or Disco 200? Post a pic of the engine.

Buy a factory manual for your truck.

The runaway is caused by the engine puking oil back into itself. If mechanic has diagnosed internal damage doing that, then yeah, new engine time.

Easiest route:

Note the URL to visit the page yourself.

Then go to Ashcroft and order a Defender R380, and while you are at it a new LT230.

Manual will tell you how to pull engine, how to slap new ancillaries on new engine, and how to reinstall everything. Step by step, not a hard job.

This forum is super helpful, If you start a resto thread all of your questions on the swap will be answered, provided you cannot find answers in the manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude. 20K for that is insane. As in “ow, my butt hurts, you did what” pricing.
Is is a Defender 200 or Disco 200? Post a pic of the engine.
Buy a factory manual for your truck.
The runaway is caused by the engine puking oil back into itself. If mechanic has diagnosed internal damage doing that, then yeah, new engine time.
Note the URL to visit the page yourself.
Then go to Ashcroft and order a Defender R380, and while you are at it a new LT230.
Manual will tell you how to pull engine, how to slap new ancillaries on new engine, and how to reinstall everything. Step by step, not a hard job.

This forum is super helpful, If you start a resto thread all of your questions on the swap will be answered, provided you cannot find answers in the manual.
It is the original 200tdi defender engine. Here was the complete quote with some additional items just to see what he was going to price out everything I needed done. I think this will become my fall project... Thank you for the help and quick reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Download the free Land Rover manual for your truck - they're pretty decent. Since you can remove the floorboards from a Defender and you're planning to remove the bulkhead, the engine pull part will be pretty easy. Just stay organized and don't panic. A bunch of ziplock bags and masking tape for labels will help. Defenders are designed to be worked on by minimally-skilled labor. You'll be in well under $23k, even if you have to buy a complete set of tools.

When you're done, you'll know how your truck is put together.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Download the free Land Rover manual for your truck - they're pretty decent.
A bunch of ziplock bags and masking tape for labels will help.
When you're done, you'll know how your truck is put together.
Michael nailed it. Save every plastic tub/bag/jar you use for a good while. Good for parts holders.
Label and Photograph everything!

You have a decent parts list from that garage. I ran some PN’s against LRDirect, you will do better there, or BritCar, Rimmer Bros., etc. Hell, contact Zach from Rovers North and he may get you some good pricing. Send him that entire list.

Email 4X4Overlander for MadMadEMS stuff. Brendn and Barbara. Good people.
I have had good luck with LOF Clutches.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts