Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on a suggestion and post by a fellow board member, I am in the process of fabricating a Dash Dock for my D110, similar in nature to the one Vector Off Road makes for the Jeeps. Link here: Vector Offroad

I will have a prototype ready in the next couple of weeks, and would like to gauge interest in such as accessory. My plan is to price it at, if not under, Vector's price of $130.00

The prototype will be the Long (Full Length version) at 49" and span the entire width of the dashboard, followed by, based on interest, a Short version at 16" wide.

Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in, and I can turn this into some sort of a "Group Buy".

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I like the idea a lot, but having trouble getting my arms around it visually. Please keep us posted as it develops.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to those that have shown interest so far. I will start posting some additional info when the prototyping process is started.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
I remember seeing this at Expo with Lavendar, we were lamenting the fact that Jeep owners get this ****, but we don't. So hell yeah - count me in.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Interested also...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update for those following this thread:

Changing horses in the middle of the race, as the fabricator I was working with turned out to be a flake. I've already identified another, and should have a prototype ready by the end of next week.

Thank you for the interest.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's the prototype or what I call "proof of concept", as it currently sits in my D110.

I am testing it in there, and plan on sending it to another board member for some feedback before finalization. Once it passes testing, it will be powder coated in black and ready for shipment.

I haven't decided if the powder coating should be a smooth or crinkle finish yet. I'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
I would say smooth... Send me out one and I'll test it :)

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2015 06:24 PM ------

As I look at it...
It may need a center support which replaces the ash tray (with 1 or 2 cig lighter sized holes for charger locations or pass through's) that "plate" could be secured by 2 screws routing to a squeeze type bar/plate and the securing the bar...
I'm trying to think of a situation with an iPad and a few other gizmos mounted to the bar via ram mounts and a washboard road, if that makes sense...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since my last posting, I've decided to modify the way the dock mounts in order to add more stability. Here's what I think is the final iteration, which uses the ashtray as the center mounting point, instead of the dash screw itself.

This version adds more support to the dock, and eliminates vertical movement/bounce. Relying on the ashtray's press fit into the dash alone, should be sufficient based on my testing so far, and if one wanted 100% rigidity, the ashtray itself can be attached to the bulkhead below, using 1 sheet metal screw.

Here are photos of the dock in it's finished state. Keep in mind that it is currently spray painted black, but the production pieces will be POWDER COATED black in a crinkle finish. Please also note that I drilled 2 holes up top and 2 on the bottom, to serve as entry and exit points for cable routing: Mini and Micro USB or other power supply type plug. The holes are 3/8" diameter, and can be enlarged by the user if need be. I can also make them without the holes if you don't need them.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are pictures using Ram Mount accessories and an iPad:

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Working out the production details and cost. I should have a price in the next couple of days, and will try to keep it under $130.00

For those who haven't yet, please let me know if this is something of interest, as I would like to get an idea of how many I need to produce. It looks like there are 10 potentially interested so far.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts