Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get a transmission and lt230 from one of the breakers, does anyone have a d1 parts truck in northern va? There are enough other small parts that I could use that it might make sense to start from a complete vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I know of a yellow one...but you'd need to fab up transmission cooler lines, and get it off the pad at John's, etc...
(in short, I will give those parts to you, but don't reccomend you taking them!)

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx ray. Ideally I'd like to be able to drive one I to the driveway and start swapping parts.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I have a 230 that Ray bought still at my house, if you two want to make a deal with him. I may have a transmission from my Classic as well in Roanoke.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the question becomes: is the d2 transmission the same as a d1/RRC transmission?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Id still prefer a complete truck as there are a variety of small pieces I could use.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
So the question becomes: is the d2 transmission the same as a d1/RRC transmission?
No, d2 99 to early 03 4.0 while zf 22 it is electronic, mid 03 to end of production 04 with 4.6 secondary air has the desired zf 24. Still electronic thou.
The 22 is found until 98 d1.
Ashcroft recommends using compushift to run the 24, or installing all the 24 internals in the 22 housing minus the valve body since it is electronic.
You use the 22 valve body on 22 housing with 24 internals.. Aka Frankenstein 22.
You get the best of both worlds, a strong 24 with mechanical 22.
Exactly what I'm working for my classic.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Trying to avoid road trips in untested rovers (been there, done that, have waaayyyy too many tshirts from it) but it's a good candidate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts