Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly imported defender's hood cable is snapped and he can't finish his inspection. Now they are calling someone to open it tomorrow in the Baltimore port, I hope its not some crazy fee for a mechanic to open it. I offered them the tip of removing the grill to access it but they won't turn a screwdriver themselves. He was asking me if I knew anything about it, almost implying that it was intentionally shut to hide something.

The stupid cable couldn't have snapped at a worse time, pretty scary to get a call from a customs officer! He seemed like a nice guy though. 25 year old cars, never know what's going to happen...

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
Can you offer to open it for him?

Ask him where in the EPA regs it says you have to have a working bonnet. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a TWIC card so I can't enter the port. They have to look at the engine I guess so that would be one reason, the other would be the possibility of contraband hidden under the hood. I just hope the 'mechanic' isn't billed at 200 dollars an hour plus administrative fees, its the government after all.

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
If they won't let you in, then how good is the grille? If it's ratty, and you're going to replace it anyways, just tell them to literally pull it off if they can't be bothered to use a screwdriver. They're cheap new and I think John (madcowdungbeetle) still has a couple decent used ones for less than shipping!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they won't let you in, then how good is the grille? If it's ratty, and you're going to replace it anyways, just tell them to literally pull it off if they can't be bothered to use a screwdriver. They're cheap new and I think John (madcowdungbeetle) still has a couple decent used ones for less than shipping!
That would be the best thing, I called the customs exam center back but couldn't get a hold of the officer doing the inspection. Some stern voiced woman answered and when I suggested that the grill is easy to remove, she said a 'Ports America Mechanic' would be called to deal with it. Hopefully they do just yank it off and break it, at least they can't charge me for breaking something.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
You clearly havent dealt with the govt before. They will charge you for the clean up for the mess they make. Just be glad it didnt need to be pressure washed/steam cleaned. -Jeff

Good lord don't remind me.

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
You clearly havent dealt with the govt before. They will charge you for the clean up for the mess they make. Just be glad it didnt need to be pressure washed/steam cleaned.

-Jeff
Shhhhh (wisper) the inspection hasn't been completed yet.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Someone with experience should be able to fish the bonnet cable out. Wish I were closer so I could help you out!

My TWIC card is currently pending, I just have to go have my interview. Should help quite a bit with my new legal practice. I was just at the Port of Charleston week before last to conduct an inspection. At the current rate of things, I see a lot of travel in my future.

Based on what I've seen though, CBP has trained its officers to assume that all Land Rovers are illegal until proven otherwise (i.e., guilty until proven innocent). Unfortunately, their training in inspecting Land Rover vehicles is somewhat flawed......

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Unfortunately, their training in inspecting Land Rover vehicles is somewhat flawed......
Unfortunately, their training in inspecting Land Rover vehicles is somewhat flawed......
Yeah, here's a novel concept.... Why doesn't the marquee provide training and support to officers so that the brand awareness, quality and respect for the heritage lives on. No.....not Land Rover

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
This is super common on these...Ours broke while we were driving it back to Alaska...I think it's a required experience for a new owner!! Hope it doesn't throw the inspection off much!!

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Yeah, here's a novel concept.... Why doesn't the marquee provide training and support to officers so that the brand awareness, quality and respect for the heritage lives on. No.....not Land Rover

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
Now that I think about it, mine broke just prior to California registration. I didn't know how much scrutiny I'd receive at the DMV and therefore didn't have it fixed prior. BIG mistake.

He checked all my vins and had me pop the hood. Got really testy when I told him I couldn't. I didn't know anything back in '07 and had no idea why he wanted to see everything. Had to unscrew my own grille before it was all over. I agree and think it's a right of passage.

·
Premium Member
8,969 Posts
Mine just broke the other day as well...waiting for a replacement from SafariHP, but in the meantime I ran a loop of paracord through there so I can yank on it by hand if need be to pop it open. But yes, the timing was terrible for yours since it's at the port...

·
Super Moderator
13,093 Posts
Ummm. Because Land Rover is behind the seizures and trying to stop imports.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Ummm. Because Land Rover is behind the seizures and trying to stop imports.
Ok... Guess my sarcasm voice wasn't high enough ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good luck hope she passes the checks and the EPA rules.
Different rules south of the 49.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Guaranteed, if they knew there were drugs or weapons of mass destruction or smuggled wildlife under the bonnet, they wouldn't hesitate to take that screwdriver or battering ram to gain access.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
They will probably use a Sennebogen to open the bonnet. They haven't fired it up in awhile. Or at the very least the Jaws of Life because they don't use screwdrivers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts