Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1997 D90 VNTdi
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can finally share the latest upgrades to my 1997 D90, the old Cube II :)

It all started when - a couple of years ago - I found out the rear crossmember was rotten beyond repair; not a big surprise, being a well known "mud trap" due to poorly thought design, and made of thin foil too :mad

I immediately binned the idea to replace it with a standard spare part, simply not worth the money and effort required; I looked instead at a better solution (read: custom-designed and fabricated), and I liked the idea of some heavy duty, bolt-on rear bumper, Jeep style! Yes Jeep...I said that. I saw a picture of a GenRight HD bumper on the web and decided it was simple and practical.

Pros:
1)stock looking (stealth mode: ON)
1)easy to remove/repaint/repair if needed
2)better designed and made, a simple open "]" profile, built stoutly out of, say, 6mm plate

While there, it happened that a few months ago I was finally able to afford a proper rollcage, beautifully built by Protection & Performance; sooo, to kill two birds with a stone, all I needed was the right person to do the job, my way.

Meet Edoardo, the brain behind Payustech Performance.
With a straightforward approach and armed with a 3D scanner, the rear section of the chassis was checked and scanned, and a HUGE jig was built to ensure precise fitment of the new repair sections and crossmember.

All the rotten metal was chopped, the whole structure was designed in 3D, checked and approved, then and laser cut, bent and assembled.
The Protection & Performance rollcage came already welded and painted, but the supplied mounts need to be welded to the chassis.
Edoardo didn't think twice and incorporated the rear mounts into the design, along with gussets and bracing to ensure bomb-proof rigidity.

Beads of weld were laid down on the chassis and the puzzle went together.
The result is a stock looking chassis, until you get closer and start noticing the big bolts which hold the new bumper in place...:whistling:

Here's a link to a bunch of photos I shared on FB:

https://www.facebook...=1&l=d6a1098f12

An cool 3D video showing the whole puzzle:

https://www.facebook...284162753972044

Also a couple of pics of the Cube now :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
While it's not the topic of this thread I really like that front bumper. I've always wondered why there haven't been more simple and tidy winch set-ups like you've got. Is it custom?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
While it's not the topic of this thread I really like that front bumper. I've always wondered why there haven't been more simple and tidy winch set-ups like you've got. Is it custom?
You can get a Rockware that's pretty similar and has great lines IMO, I know Chris has one and I believe Charles does too

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Looks great, Michele!

His front bumper is totally custom. It looks similar to a Rockware, but there's a lot of custom touches...the most obvious is the 8274 winch mount.

It's Michele's style...a lot of the differences are in the details :)

Here's the facebook link. As you can see although it might look like a rear Rockware bumper on the outside, on the inside, it's nothing like it...

https://www.facebook.com/Whitedog.Comics

·
Premium Member
1997 D90 VNTdi
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, fully custom, made on my own design, but it's really simple...oh, 100% stainless steel :grin
Just like the rocksliders, it will never rust.

:whistling:

·
Premium Member
1997 D90 VNTdi
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks great, Michele!
(cut)

It's Michele's style...a lot of the differences are in the details :)
(cut)on the inside, it's nothing like it...

https://www.facebook.com/Whitedog.Comics
:embarress:embarress:embarress

Thanks for the kind words!!!

I always try to keep things simple, stock looking and therefore matching the boxed shape of the D we all love...no tubular things for me. Well, rollcage apart :grin

Maybe it's easier to attach pics the old way...and the video too, so you can see how it's built :)

If you guys are on FB, feel free to befriend me :toast

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Outstanding!
Great design. Obviously you have skills

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Wow! Really nice. Now that is how LR should have done it from the factory. Instead of the mud/crud catch and hold design they use.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Looks fanhonkin'tastic.

I just bought one of those tailgates, but they didn't send me the pins. I may have to buy them separate if I can't figure a way to make it swing. I may follow suit.

·
Premium Member
1997 D90 VNTdi
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, thanks!

Yes the tailgate may be "modified" to swing,
you need a couple of SW rear door hinges, and an handle.
Then either cut a window for the handle, or use the antiluce catch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts