Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is winter in Minnesota and there is always projects to do when we aren't pushing snow around. My Defender is road ready again thanks to your help. Ya Hoo. I like to so some basic wood work and really like working with Baltic birch plywood. I am thinking I would like to build a box for the rear tub of my 110 CSW with a drawer. I am thinking the drawer would have to be about 3/4 of the width (on the left) so that it can extend fully and not be blocked by the rear door. The remaining space would be a pocket to slide in items. I have some questions..... I know this involves wood and wood glue not aluminum, steel and grease but I have faith that this forum's collective knowledge has a lot of overlap and depth to all things workshop related.

1)Do you think I need to have bottom? To me it would be wasted space since it will be predominantly drawer and I have a heavy rubber mat lining the tub. But a bottom plate rabbited into the sides may be needed for integrity. Thoughts?

2)What dimension baltic birch plywood would you use. I tend to overbuild thus I would likely use 3/4" (20mm) maybe 5/8" (15mm) is adequate. Should I use 5/8" on sides and 3/4" on top? Bottom if needed could likely be 1/2 or less.

3) Source for good heavy duty drawer slides?

4) For those of you who have already done this, what would you do differently?

Again, thank you so much for your help. When I was a kid, I had to find "that guy" who knew everything, now we have the internet.

Smiles and laughter,
Cwolfe

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
I've now done three different drawer systems in my various 110s. My first one had a custom made aluminum drawer that fit the space perfect. Nice and light weight. For my NAS 110, I built a wooden system like you are trying to do. To keep the weight down, I used 1/2" birch and with two drawers so I could have a support in the middle to support weight on top. I did not have a bottom on the box to save weight. I did use HD full length slides, and t-handle locks. I'll see if I can dig up picks of the For Sale ad on this site.

I now have this in my current 110:

It's aluminum, fits perfect, and is lower to the floor. I ended up putting a sheet of 1/2" birch with a rubber matte on top to finish it out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I now have this in my current 110:

It's aluminum, fits perfect, and is lower to the floor. I ended up putting a sheet of 1/2" birch with a rubber matte on top to finish it out.
Does the right side drawer interfere with the door restraint mechanism at all, looks like this could work for me. Any pictures of it installed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts