Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
I can try but those are all hard to find. Radio bezel is like gold. What color door pull pocket?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I might have the seat switch; when my seat ECU took a dump I just replaced it with a standard switch.
I doubt I tossed it but I'll have to search around.

·
Premium Member
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have the seat switch; when my seat ECU took a dump I just replaced it with a standard switch.
I doubt I tossed it but I'll have to search around.

I'm not married to the memory functions but if you replace the memory switch with a standard one what happens with the mirrors ? Currently the mirrors don't respond. does simply unplugging the memory module and swapping the switch fix the issues ?

·
Premium Member
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can try but those are all hard to find. Radio bezel is like gold. What color door pull pocket?
Bill the door pocket is the large pocket @ the bottom of the door card, not the door pull. Lightstone interior color, so its going to be fun to find.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I'm not married to the memory functions but if you replace the memory switch with a standard one what happens with the mirrors ? Currently the mirrors don't respond. does simply unplugging the memory module and swapping the switch fix the issues ?
You can pull the ECU and simply plug in the old style switch for seat movement.
That's what I did for the quick fix.
I manually moved the mirrors into a useable position and left them there.
I'll try a bypass fix in the future.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Sounds like a good opportunity to do a manual seat swap.
yeah, if you could find manual seats anywhere!

Final pic- connector going to motors(the green and yellow on the left)-- switch on the right

This is what I was talking about on the phone Doug- you can apply 12v+ to those green/yellows and get seat movement.
Then you can pull the bolts and remove the seat- remove the ecu, etc,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
Doug you can't just swap memory for manual. You need a working seat ECU to get the mirrors operational. Either send me yours or I can try to repair one of the ones I have here. The lightstone should have sorrel door cards. I only have one pocket which is going on my door!

Fwiw the SEM palomino vinyl paint is very close to sorrel.

·
Premium Member
14,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Jeff,
Thanks for your time today. Hopefully your patient in the chair wasn't annoyed with me picking your brain.
That was a trip when I moved the seat switch and the mirrors responded.....

Instead of going after the seat I tore into the dash since I have no blower motor. The wood duct/facia was already off when I got it so I may as well fix it and then put it back together. Hoping for a switch issue

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Doug you can't just swap memory for manual. You need a working seat ECU to get the mirrors operational.
Doug is getting mirror movement when he moves the seat buttons---won't know how bad the board is until he gets a peek inside the ECU.

Yes, you can switch to a plain power seat switch but you'll lose power mirror function.
I just moved my mirrors manually and left them.
There is a remedy for the mirrors but I don't know it.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
They want $300 to repair, you don't get a new ECU.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
They want $300 to repair, you don't get a new ECU.
Right.
A renewed ecu.

Repair of damaged printed circuit board
Replacement of capacitors nearing end of life
Application of conformal coating to prevent further corrosion
Installation of sealed battery pack with special protective connectors
5-10 business day rebuild time (may be longer if unexpected circumstances arise)
Five-year warranty against return failure
We do not charge a bench test fee

That doesnt sound that bad for 300 clams.

What would you charge for the above?

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
I got the batteries for $12 each, and the Integrated Circuits were like a couple dollars for 10 of 'em.. I wouldn't charge anything, myself. No real need to change the capacitors unless they are damaged. In some cases the board can be saved if it isn't too bad. I have seen everything from completely useless to almost pristine save for a bad battery. Got a pile of 'em here. One or two are savable with some work.
I also remove the ICs and replace them with a socket. Then plug new ICs into the socket.
Conformal coating is merely clear Krylon.
Anyway those guys are running a business. I can see charging what people will pay but honestly it's maybe a half hour's work to refurbish one, and the parts are peanuts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.