Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost all my camping gear...divorce ....looking to get some new stuff, easily stored in my Landy. Stove, cooking gear etc. I had a Trangia set, high priced stuff...What do you guys suggest??

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
^^^That is my worst nightmare^^^

Wifey has no clue how much $$$$ I have in camping gear...seeing you are now single you should invest in the best - Snow Peak, it’s designed to pack small, is all stainless steel, and is functionally and aesthetically designed as the Best of the Best. And is something you can pass down generationally...

·
Premium Member
4,801 Posts
I keep it simple and use a msr wisper multifuel stove and thift store pans. I use snow peak mess kits and plasticware for eating and shaker cups for drinks .

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Saw one of these in action recently

Really nice, because of the open fuel chamber you can split some pretty large firewood and keep it fed. It was a nice easy way to cook on a cast iron pan. Your jetboils of the world are obviously ideal for a lot of things, obviously the fuel is relatively inexpensive and readily available but there is something nice about these 'rocket stoves' for versatilities sake. They aren't super light at 13#s but if you're car camping anyway its pretty accessible and has a relatively small footprint.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saw one of these in action recently

Really nice, because of the open fuel chamber you can split some pretty large firewood and keep it fed. It was a nice easy way to cook on a cast iron pan. Your jetboils of the world are obviously ideal for a lot of things, obviously the fuel is relatively inexpensive and readily available but there is something nice about these 'rocket stoves' for versatilities sake. They aren't super light at 13#s but if you're car camping anyway its pretty accessible and has a relatively small footprint.
I like this, a bit bulky but a nice wood burning option

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
For hiking in, hard to find something smaller with better form factor than the Jetboil and the basic pot and fry pan. Mine setup is ~ 9 years old and still going strong. The last 6 seeing FT boat duty with no rust (an environment where budget tools rusted inside 2). If car camping w/o firewood, the 100% high end SS Magma Grills are the bomb. They are heavy SOBs but perform great. Easy to light with even heat distribution (w/in 20F throughout the surface) regardless if in 30 kts of wind.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Partner stove and a jet boil are what I use. Since it’s car camping I am not too worried about weight, more functionality and the partner design works well for me. Nothing worse than knobs that are exposed and break off.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
It boils down to backpacking or camping. Camping is close to the truck. Backpacking is carrying your ****. Depends on what you want to do. I've done both and I would have put my avocation as an ice climber/mountaineer before I got West Nile so I have lived out of tents for weeks while doing climbs. Snow peak is good but not the best in my book. Most my stoves are MSR--the XKG is good, actually great at burning food. Too focuses a flame. Great at boiling water which is what I want strapped to a wall. Whisperlites can simmer but again, still for focused flames or constant attention. For that might as well get a jet boil if your are rehydrating.

For camping, I use a 2 burner coleman white gas stove and a griddle along with pot and pan.

It depends on if you want to count grams or just car camp. What is your intent?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
We use both the coleman 2 burner gas and older pump up stoves, if you are camping and need to bug out fast stuff is cheap at any pawn shop. I don't understand why some get the 200 dollar stuff, or as Davis said, if you are back packing your gear in.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I use a snow peak Bi-pod stove in the truck (mostly for tea and hot chocolate) it works well as a single burner and packs tiny. This stays in the truck 24x7 and works in a pinch for an extra burner or soup and such.. i also keep a 1L MSR kettle and a small pot in the truck.

For the trailer i have a cook partner stove 2 burner, Snow peak pots, and a couple of random other things like snow peak griddle, and another bigger MSR tea kettle.
I like the sea to summit plates and bowls, Cups are either snow peak, clean kanteen SS pints, or yeti depending on the drink. silverware is sea to summit hard Aluminium sets, knives are snow peak (but i want to upgrade to the set jonsey has - but cant find the link..
oh and a pack and carry snow peak fire pit with the grill top, cook dinner and then sit around the fire.

anyway that will get you started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts