Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you convert a Series III Dashboard to Defender? I've looked at picks of both bulkheads and visually they look similiar. Defender.jpg
MRC6080LHD-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
Before we get into the details define what you mean by Series III Dashboard to Defender?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a RHD Series III. I'm wanting to convert it to LHD and add A/C. I saw these fancy Ministry of Defender Puma Dashes with A/C. I've emailed them and they replied that it will not fit in a Series. So looking at pics of the Bulkhead, they look very similar for mounting. So I'm wondering if it's the wiring or something else. Either way, I'd have to source dashboard parts for the LHD coversion, just trying to figure out my options... Puma dash with A/C comes in at about $4700 shipped to US. I've seen the underdash Defender kits for about $4K. If the series dash can accommodate the Ministry of Defender Puma dash, I'd rather go that route.

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
What engine is in the Series III?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.6L now, but it has a rod knocking. I'm leaning toward LS swap. I've LS swapped my '69 C10 truck and was thinking about doing the same, although it's 2wd. Gen III 5.3L 4l65E Vintage Air A/C. The Ministry of Defender uses the Sanden compressor. I'm using a mini-sanden on my truck with a dirty dingo's low mount bracket. Their AC kit uses the vents and controls on the Puma Dash. It's very attractive.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If you have a riv nut setting tool, you can install a defender dash on a series 3 bulkhead. There maybe be a few holes that don’t line up but you can work through that. You’re also going to have to deal with the changes in the wiring and most likely convert to R380 transmission tunnel to clear your new transmission for LS swap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a riv nut setting tool, you can install a defender dash on a series 3 bulkhead. There maybe be a few holes that don’t line up but you can work through that. You’re also going to have to deal with the changes in the wiring and most likely convert to R380 transmission tunnel to clear your new transmission for LS swap.
Then back to the original discussion.... If you only need wiring and some riv nuts to install the defender dash, then that should be all that's needed to install the Ministry of Defender Puma Dash.....

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
The reason for the questions was to be sure what your plan was before spending the time to analyze you goals and provide accurate advice.
Years ago installed a Diava under dash AC setup from a 1994 NAS 90 into a LHD Serise III 109.
The AC worked great, but because the 109 had the under-powered 2.25, the AC made it that much slower.
The owner later had us install a GM 3.0 liter 4 cylinder engine conversion that had enough power to drive nicely and pull the AC compressor.

I am no expert on the Ministry of Defender Puma Dash replica, but will share with you what I know from talking to others.
The AC and heat both share the same pathway in the lower dash and this has a big impact on both the air flow and temperature.
The setup was designed and implemented in UK where it rarely gets hot and humid at the same time.
The number of outlet vents restricts the airflow making the benefits of the MOD dash marginal.
If it were mine, would want to talk to and see in person someone with an MOD operational dash.
Then if it suits your needs, by all means go with it.

If it won't suit your needs, then you can go with the early Defender Dash and install an under dash unit.
I am of the opinion that the Series III bulkhead is similar enough that it can be adapted accordingly.
Think you'll have to make some cuts for the heater and go with the suggestions Macker put up in post 6.

I would do your homework before deciding on an LS in a series.
The way I understand it, there are many many more changes required in a series than with a Defender.
While the vehicles look very similar they are different in nearly every way.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason for the questions was to be sure what your plan was before spending the time to analyze you goals and provide accurate advice.
Years ago installed a Diava under dash AC setup from a 1994 NAS 90 into a LHD Serise III 109.
The AC worked great, but because the 109 had the under-powered 2.25, the AC made it that much slower.
The owner later had us install a GM 3.0 liter 4 cylinder engine conversion that had enough power to drive nicely and pull the AC compressor.

I am no expert on the Ministry of Defender Puma Dash replica, but will share with you what I know from talking to others.
The AC and heat both share the same pathway in the lower dash and this has a big impact on both the air flow and temperature.
The setup was designed and implemented in UK where it rarely gets hot and humid at the same time.
The number of outlet vents restricts the airflow making the benefits of the MOD dash marginal.
If it were mine, would want to talk to and see in person someone with an MOD operational dash.
Then if it suits your needs, by all means go with it.

If it won't suit your needs, then you can go with the early Defender Dash and install an under dash unit.
I am of the opinion that the Series III bulkhead is similar enough that it can be adapted accordingly.
Think you'll have to make some cuts for the heater and go with the suggestions Macker put up in post 6.

I would do your homework before deciding on an LS in a series.
The way I understand it, there are many many more changes required in a series than with a Defender.
While the vehicles look very similar they are different in nearly every way.

Best of luck.
I've searched all over for info on the MOD dash. I read somewhere that the airflow was about 30% higher than that of the stock heater fan. They suggest adding additional vents to the dash. This is going in a 109 pickup, so at least it doesn't have a large volume to cool. There's info on Series V8 swaps on expeditionlandrover.info that I've read and a few here and there that have done the LS swaps. The 109 is an R6, so it has the defender like bonet and the extra engine bay room. I've read where you can put Defender inner fenders on the series wings for more engine bay room. I'm sure I'll still have to move crossmembers and add engine mounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts