Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 1987 Land Rover 90 with a 2.5nad and brand new Ashcroft lt77. The story goes that I brought the truck to a shop and asked if they could replace my old lt77 with the new one, which they did along with new master and slave cylinder and also bled the system.

The problem: Ever since I got it back, if I depress the clutch pedal all the way(which is what I was always taught), I can’t get it in or out of gear, and when I’m in gear the truck actually begins to move. If I depress the clutch 60% of the way I can drive it somewhat normally but the shifts aren’t as smooth as they should be and it sometimes locks me out of gear.

I’ve tried to talk to the shop about it but they just want to put a pedal stop and call it a day but I’d rather not have to bandage something that should work well due to being completely new.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be or have an experience similair? Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
The system needs to be rebled sounds to me. I just got through doing this, don't be in a rush. What finally did it for me (after trying various methods) was to brace the pedal to the floor and then open the bleed screw at the slave I then got a nice little puff of air followed by fluid, perfect clutch response.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input. I plan on rebleeding tonight or tomorrow night, as for the slave being the right way, the bleeder is ontop. I’ll try your method of bleeding it. As for bleeding the master is there anything different I need to do or is it the same as bleeding from the slave? Sorry, not too mechanically experienced, thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just start with gravity bleed from the master to the slave. I swear it's that S shape brake line near the slave that traps air that's why holding down the clutch pedal helps, I think...
So would you say to hold down the clutch pedal, undo the bleed screw on the slave, rescrew and then repump the clutch pedal? And continue until it’s only fluid coming through? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gravity feed from the master
until fluid drips from the slave, close bleed screw, put pedal to floor and brace it, open bleed screw at slave, hopefully you'll get tiny spit of air and fuild, close bleed screw, unbrace pedal, no need to pump, you should have a nice pedal feel. If not, do it again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can do it about three times before the fluid gets too low in the master. Suck in air at the top and you’re starting all over again...
Yeah I’ll make sure to keep the master topped up throughout. Thanks everyone! If this doesn’t fix it I’ll report back here but I’m hopeful.

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
224 Posts
A pressure bleeder is the way to go. It makes the job quick and easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts