Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 NAS D90 Portofino ST #4
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having a clutch issue after installing a new master and slave. I've also bled the line a few times and am having problems engaging the gears. Clutch feels spongey when pressure is applied. Should I also replace the clutch? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm still having a clutch issue after installing a new master and slave. I've also bled the line a few times and have very little pressure and problems engaging the gears. Should I also replace the clutch? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Make sure you have brake fluid in clutch reservoir...

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
Sounds like there is still air in there. They can be hard to bleed if you have not done it before. Make sure the slave bleed nipple is on the top and try bleeding while parked facing down hill.

Also make sure the master is adjusted properly to ensure there is free play.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's probably not bled enough. It's a bitch
clutch has been bled several times and it feels good. it's not engaging the gears. could it be the pressure plate in the clutch assembly?

·
Super Moderator
13,650 Posts
clutch has been bled several times and it feels good. it's not engaging the gears. could it be the pressure plate in the clutch assembly?
You said it has very little pressure. That means there is air in the system. That is why the gears won't engage. Trust us.... They can be difficult to bleed.

Reactions: boshea

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said it has very little pressure. That means there is air in the system. That is why the gears won't engage. Trust us.... They can be difficult to bleed.
Tried it again and the clutch feels perfect - actually better than before. Shifts perfectly when the ignition is off. Will install a new clutch kit and see if that helps.

Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts