Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found my next project! My 94 NAS 90 is leaking clutch fluid. This is so frustrating. I have owned this 90 for about 8 years, and have replaced (I had a Rover shop do the work) the master and slave cylinder twice already. The clutch has been performing well for about 2 years now. Then, last week, i went to start the truck and WHAM! The pedal went to the floor with zero resistance and zero rebound. I didn't have time to investigate, but the only fluid on the ground was on the passenger side of the vehicle. No fluid coming in the cab. I refilled the reservoir, pumped the clutch until i had a functional clutch again, and the next day it was dry as a bone again. Now, colorado is under a few feet of snow, so I'm not gonna investigate further until the weather warms up and dries up. This is Colorado, so it should be awesome by the weekend. I am looking for a 94 NAS workshop manual, and I'll be looking through the forum for help, as i have zero experience with clutches and clutch lines, etc. I'll keep you all up to date, wish me luck!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you do the dorman no need for the rubber hose , it is omitted.
You mean for the master? Yes, but the lower from the bulkhead mount to the slave is still there on my 94' 300tdi to R380. I didn't replace the lower hose and 5 months later ended up wishing I did.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
You mean for the master? Yes, but the lower from the bulkhead mount to the slave is still there on my 94' 300tdi to R380. I didn't replace the lower hose and 5 months later ended up wishing I did.

you should have just run the SS line from SDO to the slave directly. no need for the rubber bulkhead line anymore. So you should have the master to the SS line to the hard line on the slave.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wish I would have known that! I still carry a replacement rubber line with me. I just went and measured and you are 100% correct, I should have run it straight to it.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update! Parts are ordered. I dried everything under the hood, cleaned everything, then refilled the reservoir. 10 minutes later... this! Fluid dripping down the bulkhead (under the hood, not in the cab). Fluid coming out of the master cylinder where the line comes out. The slave cylinder is dry. But could this just be because it’s all draining out the master? If I fix the master, will it just start flowing out the slave? Either way, parts are ordered.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Using a flare nut wrench loosen then retighten the tube nut. Doesn't really have a torque value but I would make it snug.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the master cylinder!!!!! That was not easy. Whoever put those bolts in those places should be forced to watch Trolls 2 on repeat for a year.

BUT! I think I found the major problem. Please see pic 2 below. Isn’t that rubber part only supposed to have 1 hole?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The new master and slave cylinders are in! The clutch is performing well, and no more leak. On the other hand, I replaced the power steering lines, which were also leaking, and one of them is still leaking. See pic below. I thought the clamps where the hose meets the metal (which come installed this way) were sufficient to prevent leaks. Should I have taken them off and placed ring hose clamps?

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
just buy stock power steering hoses.. the power steering runs under high pressure. or take them off and have them properly crimped

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I thought I was safe just buying the full replacement from a reputable source. It is the genuine LR part.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: I sent pics of the power steering line to the vendor, and they are sending a new line. I'll just take the crimped clamps off when i get it and put worm clamps on before install.

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
just buy stock power steering hoses.. the power steering runs under high pressure. or take them off and have them properly crimped
I assume this is the return line from the box or supply line to the pump and is not under any pressure.

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
So no pressure. Adding a regular hose clamp would solve the issue.

Reactions: volleymdut
1 - 20 of 21 Posts