Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1994 NAS D90 Portofino ST #4
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about an adapter for the Defender cigarette lighter? I can't use anything in my lighter...the fit is too loose on the sides.

Thanks-
Brian

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
my advice would be to go somewhere like pep boys and get a cigerate "outlet" that hooks up to your battery. If you have a 94 or 95' defender all you have to do is hook the adapter up to your battery (which is right under the seat) and you are set. This should also give you more power for laptops etc. Another suggestion is to go with a "power inverter" from walmart or other auto place (35-50) dollars and then you can plug regular a regular "ac" applaince in. This way you wouldnt need a speacial power source for your laptop, and you could plug your home charger into the inverter.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Carefull with those power inverters. They put out an ugly 60Hz waveform and somethings don't like it.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
chrisvonc said:
My Disco came with a little plastic ring adapter that I fit on my plug and then can put it into the lighter to make it fit right in there.

Our 94 D90 lighter does not have that problem.

CVC
Anyone know the part number?

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
If you put in a seperate outlet, don't forget to put in a fuse.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
themaxx said:
Anyone know the part number?
I don't remember my '96 Discovery lighter having this, and it fit fine, but I bought the truck used, so who knows. I did purchase a Hella Map Light that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and it came with a plastic adapter ring that I used for many different cigarette lighter power plugs int he Defender, until I lost it. And it is a nice map light to have as well..

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Overlander said:
If you put in a seperate outlet, don't forget to put in a fuse.
Yep yep, I just had the lack luster wiring job redone on my truck. Between the winch, lights, after-market stereo, ARB lockers...it wasn't pretty. So hopefully I won't blow as many fuses.

pmd said:
As an option...

I was frustrated only having one 12v receptacle - so I just installed a couple of these this week .
West Marine has them instock.

http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php?loadItem=12VRCRV_ParkPower%20Recreational
Where did you stall the others? Any pics?

jeepeytr said:
I don't remember my '96 Discovery lighter having this, and it fit fine, but I bought the truck used, so who knows. I did purchase a Hella Map Light that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and it came with a plastic adapter ring that I used for many different cigarette lighter power plugs int he Defender, until I lost it. And it is a nice map light to have as well..
Awesome, I need to get a hold of Grover, I was planning on buying his other map light.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Not to Hijack, but I have been wanting to install a couple in the center depression where 90s have the clock and hazzard etc. switches. I want to have a black aluminum plate made to fit that depression that can hold the lighters and anything else I choose. I could buy a piece of aluminum and drill and cut and smooth etc. but is there someone with access to a CNC or that knows somewhere I could send specs and have one made inexpensively? I don't want to spend a fortune and it will be an incredibly simple design, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and don't want to stare at one every day where the radii aren't just right.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I think I spent all of thirty minutes making one last month. The piece holding the clock and hazard switch makes a good template. The covering falls off :). One problem is you have to cut the dash where the piece fits and glue the dash covering back in place. Also the hazard switch has to be hooked up to the wiring harness for the vehicle to function.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
Hoosier said:
I think I spent all of thirty minutes making one last month. The piece holding the clock and hazard switch makes a good template. The covering falls off :). One problem is you have to cut the dash where the piece fits and glue the dash covering back in place. Also the hazard switch has to be hooked up to the wiring harness for the vehicle to function.
It makes a great template if you have one! :( I hadn't thought of that, but maybe someone remove it & has no use for it anymore?!? If anyone was just going to throw one out I'd be happy to pay shipping for it? Condition really doesn't matter as long as I can trace it.

I am not sure I follow about having to glue the covering back in place.

Fortunately my hazzard switch is already located elsewhere since I have a 110. All I have there is a depression and from the back the metal is cut to accept the clock etc. but from the front it is just solid vinyl.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I went to radio shack and bought a new cigarette lighter outlet and it plugged right in. Nothing fits awkard in it anymore. Plus it came with a fuse.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
themaxx said:
Where did you stall the others? Any pics? QUOTE]

I know, I know I drilled into the center console - but I wanted easy access..
Here's what I did:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Stmpede said:
Not to Hijack, but I have been wanting to install a couple in the center depression where 90s have the clock and hazzard etc. switches. I want to have a black aluminum plate made to fit that depression that can hold the lighters and anything else I choose. I could buy a piece of aluminum and drill and cut and smooth etc. but is there someone with access to a CNC or that knows somewhere I could send specs and have one made inexpensively? I don't want to spend a fortune and it will be an incredibly simple design, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and don't want to stare at one every day where the radii aren't just right.
Andrew, I believe either JimC and/or LenB might have already done something similiar.

61rover said:
Previous owner put one inside the cubby box. It's remarkably handy there.
The cubby, duh...that's a great location!

pmd said:
I know, I know I drilled into the center console - but I wanted easy access..
Here's what I did:
Thanks for the pic! Dispite the 'unholy' drilling, it looks really good! :)

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I don't mind tracing one and making a pdf file with dimensions if that would help. Can't do it until Sunday if you want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts