Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me how the choke warning switch works ? I have one in my car 1972 Series 3. But the warning light is always on. I took the switch off and also compared against the instructions in the operating manual. It appears as if I'm missing an outer sleeve. But I can't figure from the picture how the switch gets activated. Anyone knows ? And where can I source a replacement outer sleeve if that is what I'm missing ?
Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
The switch is plugged into your oil temp otter switch in theory. When oil gets up to temp and the choke is pulled out it completes the ground and lights up indicating you need to push the choke back in.

Seems yours is always grounded hence it being on.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I know the IIA had a coolant ground sender in the head.
If the coolant ground sender sent a ground signal and the choke was pulled, it lit up the choke warning light letting the driver know to push the choke in.

You'd need to study the Series III wiring diagram to determine if the choke warning light were wired the same way, but post 2 sound about right, although have never heard of this being based on oil temp, always thought it was coolant temp.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
I know the IIA had a coolant ground sender in the head.
If the coolant ground sender sent a ground signal and the choke was pulled, it lit up the choke warning light letting the driver know to push the choke in.

You'd need to study the Series III wiring diagram to determine if the choke warning light were wired the same way, but post 2 sound about right, although have never heard of this being based on oil temp, always thought it was coolant temp.
I was sorta close. General idea at least.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate the info but I'm not sure this is correct. I did look at the wiring diagram and it's simply an on/off switch (#40). Not connected to any other sensor. And looking at the operating model diagram attached it seems that there is simply a mechanism linked to the little spring loaded knob in the middle that activates the light when you pull the Choke cable. And they are highlighting this outer sleeve that i seem to be missing on my choke cable. Anyone else has any ideas ? Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
That sounds right for the Series III.
I know Land Rover did away with the warning sender On the IIA in the 60s, so the Series III must have had a warning light that cam on when the choke was pulled out.

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
If you have the correct choke cable assy the outer at the knob end has a small hole in it that the switch attaches to and the button of the swtch fits into said hole.

There is no outer sleeve as you say.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you have the correct choke cable assy the outer at the knob end has a small hole in it that the switch attaches to and the button of the swtch fits into said hole.

There is no outer sleeve as you say.
This is correct. If your truck does not have the otter switch, this mounts to the choke cable and simply reads when choke is on or off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is correct. If your truck does not have the otter switch, this mounts to the choke cable and simply reads when choke is on or off.
But how does it read it ? The switch is attached to the choke cable. I pull the cable the switch gets pulled with it. What triggers for the switch to be activated ?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I believe there are a set of contacts that touch when the switch is closed (choke pulled) and are open when the coke is home.

Reactions: Meerkamp

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
But how does it read it ? The switch is attached to the choke cable. I pull the cable the switch gets pulled with it. What triggers for the switch to be activated ?
How can the bloody switch move its attached to the outer casing, lets see a picture.
you already answered your self in your first post the second picture in your first post. the outer casing at the knob end there are three holes in it, the switch locates to two of the outer holes and middle plastic knob in the switch is what activates the switch as there is a dimple on the inner wire ferrule

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Timely article in the Classic Land Rover Magazine September 2020.

I am missing this metal connector in the second picture that activates the switch when the choke cable is pulled.
Thanks everyone for commenting.
Have a good weekend.
Frank

·
Premium Member
3,506 Posts
That is part (molded In)of the outer cover, not separate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts