Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been battling low oil pressure for a while now. I ordered a new oil pump gear housing, and while it gets here, I was told to check the gap on the main bearings...sometimes you can loose pressure that way? I have the oil pan out. But im not sure which gap im meassuring. Should I remove one of the bearings? Also, I feel a little play on the timing chain. Not much, but I can move back and forth a little. Is this normal? Rover has 145, 000 miles. Head gasket was done. But no work on the bottom half to my knowledge.

Thanks.

-Gabe.

·
Premium Member
95 D90 NAS
1,688 Posts
Not sure if the Dro will chime in, but he just sanded the housing. Look at the oil pump gears and check if the housing is marked/scared. I don't think I would worry much about the main bearings this early on.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
is the engine making noise? how low is the pressure ?
you can check the rod to journal clearance with Plastigauge - Plastic Precision Clearance Gauges
but if your loosing pressure from excessive bearing clearance most likely your looking at a rebuild
normally you can get away with squaring up the oil pump end plate and a set of gears and stretching the spring

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.