Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to change the motor/transmission mounts on a 200tdi defender with engine/transmission still on the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have a floor jack. Where should I place the jack on the engine/transmission? Anything I should be on the look out while I jack up the engine/transmission? I have the Coolair Logan ac installed.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Fronts are easy, all you need to remove are the nuts on each end of the mounts. Jack up the engine from below using a nice piece of wood to prevent slippage/scrapes/dents/etc. from the jack (if you don't have a nice jack pad on your jack). There is just enough clearance to remove the mounts before the bell-housing runs into the bulkhead. Re-assembly takes a bit of finesse to get both mounts to land centrally on the frame at the same time.

Rears require a little more work. The back-side of the mounts (transfer case end) are hard to get at, so you end up removing the four bolts that hold each mounting plate to the transfer case. Often these bolts are held in place by bent locking tabs which require some work with a large flat head screwdriver. Re-assemble the rubber mounts to the mounting plates first. The frame supports for the mount are easily removable if you're having trouble disassembling/reassembling.

Most importantly, buy GOOD QUALITY mounts... there is a huge difference. Either Glencoyne or Turner Engineering have good ones; I think Bearmach were comparable at one point?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, I’ll get under the truck and take a look at it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found the transfer case to be easier, especially after swapping in the R380 for the LT77. Did one at a time but I did completely remove each mount. I think you have to so you can access the nuts close to the t-case. I used a jack stand at the brake drum to keep it in place.
Still have the fronts to do but only have a bottle jack right now. Question is where is the safest spot to jack from once I get the trolly jack?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts